Guarded Optimism

oldandnew

I try to stay aware of what the MDC is thinking and doing on the upland front. Recently there has been some guarded optimism with regards to the spring 2011 hatch. As you may have seen yourself the Turkey hatch was up dramatically, there is some thought that the quail would have responded as well, maybe not a real big comeback, but at least a small gain to stack against a long term losing streak. Give us a reason to think we have a chance anyway! Here's hoping!!!! Roadside survey has been completed, published in mid September.

I think I actually seen a covey flying across C highway between Clinton and Lincoln last time I was down that way! :thumbsup:

From shelling corn and combining beans have seen at least 6 different bunchs of quail, some full grown some half grown or less. These are mostly around where I have crp and cp33 and there has been quail in these spots for years and I have trained my dogs in these spots, so dont kill very many birds just love to see the dogs work but do like a mess or two of quail to eat ocassionally. Nothing better than quail,mash taters and gravy and homemade rolls.

I normally hunt north central missouri once or twice a season with decent success the past couple years. couple of coveys a day with an occasional rooster. hope things are getting even better!

Back