GSP Camo Vest

dakota hunting

I have a 50 lbs GSP that i am making into both a upland and waterfowl dog. She is really white, what vest should i get for her or what should i do to keep her more camoed and less like a beakon of whiteness.

I got her a neoprene vest fo labs but the dimensions are all wrong. it ended up cutting her under arms i then cut it till it was skinnier than her chest and out from her arms :(. It then preceded to just rip out. Are there camo vests for pointers?

What vests or what should i do to cover her?

If you here of any gsp fitting vests ,let me know, getting tired of picking briars out of Brutus's belly although he doesn't seem to mind! Brutus is 75 lbs with a large chest and skinny torso to haunches.

i had a local gal tailor my Avery vest to fit my 60lb GSP, fits perfect and has held up great, dog can wear it all day and it doesnt get snow or weeds under it at all, i also started putting a hothands body warmer in it when the temerature gets bad, it was 1 this morning and the dog had a great time

Last edited:
I found a website for gun dogs it is www.gundogsonline.com This site caters to gun dogs and has a lot of supplies for dogs and people both. It even has 2 different types of vests for gsp's. Good luck on search.

With an old jet-ski jacket or shorts, some quality contact cement, you can pretty easily make your own for your dog. Check your local resale shop.

I've a picture somewhere around here, not with camo neopreme, but could easily have been. Has held up on a wirehair and for occasional use on ESS. I'll see if I can find it.

(Edit: Can't find it now. If you have a scuba shop near you, or go online to one, years ago...ok, DECADES ago...repair adhesive for scuba suits was commonplace. Really, just a quality contact cement. I'll poke around for the picture.)

Keep in mind, this only came into play when the wirehair ripped his chest open (again) on a fence a few years ago, and kept on hunting until I finally spotted his injury when he brought a bird into me and lay down for a bit. Vet didn't want to stitch, just said keep it clean, don't worry about tetanus, and let it heal from the inside out. Young Bert then got his neoprene vest.

Mick used it in zero degree first year hunts a few times. Doubt that he needed it, but I worried about his resilience to the temps. Turns out he'd rather be out in the weather. Go figgur. :)

Last edited:
This is a Avery vest. The dimensions worked on a EP they should work for a GSP. I cut out the back of the arms. Flint is 50#'s
springmorning015.jpg

Back