Groton/Andover

Diehardpheasant

Wondering if anyone can tell me how the hunting was this year in the Groton area. I am heading out there in the fall and wondering if I should focus hunting west or north of Groton. Hoping to find some sharp tails as well.

Good luck trying to get information like that from this group. But I hunted that way this fall bird numbers were down I have only seen a handful of sharpies the last two years. Public land around there gets hit pretty hard prepare to walk and drive a lot.

Wondering if anyone can tell me how the hunting was this year in the Groton area. I am heading out there in the fall and wondering if I should focus hunting west or north of Groton. Hoping to find some sharp tails as well.

Groton and Andover are kind of on the edge of the better pheasant country. I would look west of there. Basically anything west of Hwy 37, better yet west of Hwy 281. Don't expect to find any Sharpies in that area. For Sharpies you need to get further west closer to the Missouri River. You will bump an occasional Sharpie in the eastern 1/3 of the state but not enough numbers to really hunt.

Thanks all for the advice I don't mind walking or driving a bit

Groton and Andover are kind of on the edge of the better pheasant country. I would look west of there. Basically anything west of Hwy 37, better yet west of Hwy 281. Don't expect to find any Sharpies in that area. For Sharpies you need to get further west closer to the Missouri River. You will bump an occasional Sharpie in the eastern 1/3 of the state but not enough numbers to really hunt.

Very Good advice.

That area got hit pretty hard already this winter you might want wait till the pheasant count comes out before making plans.

West

Ya, good advice from Zeb. I start snooping around when I get west of Ipswich, between 12 and 212. That said, I did spend some time northwest of Webster this fall and winter with shooting every day. That pothole area of the state is really picturesque. You can hunt and fish on the same day. Town of Britton really cozy little place. I put on a lot of boot miles but did shoot birds over there.

Thanks for updates I made lodging reservations but plan to keep my eyes open for some spring updates to see the hatch numbers

In our groups mind it is way worth the extra drive out to the Bowdle-Eureka area. A lot less hunters and more birds then the Aberdeen area. You also get lodging for a lot less. We've done six straight years there and are burned out. There is a ton of public land that way but it takes a few trips to weed out the lesser spots. The drought has dried up a lot of the sloughs that were good for us in the past. I'm on the site today starting to research some new adventures for our group this year. Good luck!

Back