Grit Station?

1GB

I've been considering putting out something homemade during the winter to hold grit for the pheasants and keep it snow-free. My thought was that by doing this they wouldn't have to be out in the roads during winter when snow is covering everything else. Has anyone done this? Results?

Yes I have, I just dump some sand and gravel, class 5 with more sand out by the corn. But I quit because they still went to the road. But the corn is still out, that they used. They may have used the grit as well, but I could not tell, it is not like the pile dissapeared or anything. it did get scratched some. Might work well in areas where the roads are covered good too. The roads were never totaly covered in ice here, I am sure in that situation they would use it. I think they like to eat grass and stuff too, that is uncovered by plows.

Last edited:
I've been tempted to dump gravel out by CRP in middle of section so not to make birds travel too far to roads and better utilize all sources of cover and spread birds out. Wonder if any better gravel than other? I suppose class 5 is what they use on the roads.

I've been tempted to dump gravel out by CRP in middle of section so not to make birds travel too far to roads and better utilize all sources of cover and spread birds out. Wonder if any better gravel than other? I suppose class 5 is what they use on the roads.

Out in the Dakota's at my friends in gods country for pheasants. Chris I have seen where they made huge mounds in the middle of the section, with class 5 and that they did use all the time. It would grow weeds and whatever on it and it would light up every time we went there, I guess I forgot about that type of grit station, were talking a trailer house sized pile. I just did the bucket thing.

Last edited:
What makes the best grit for pheasant? You would think the smaller the better, like a 3/8 minus with the fines in limestone.

A class 5 sand mix. Some crushed with fines.

Here it is mainly kind of like field stone, or river rock type gravel, granite ect. full of almost sugar sand,every size and shape rock you can imagine. They use verry small stuff for there grit. not sure about lime stone. If they pick on the roads in your area, whatever they use localy for road gravel should work.

Out in the Dakota's at my friends in gods country for pheasants. Chris I have seen where they made huge mounds in the middle of the section, with class 5 and that they did use all the time. It would grow weeds and whatever on it and it would light up every time we went there, I guess I forgot about that type of grit station, were talking a trailer house sized pile. I just did the bucket thing.

FCS, thanks for the tip. Sounds like another habitat idea to consider. Who would have ever thought a pile of gravel would be pheasant habitat?

FCS, thanks for the tip. Sounds like another habitat idea to consider. Who would have ever thought a pile of gravel would be pheasant habitat?

I can't remember what the weeds were that grew on them, but they were always those heavy stalked barn weed types.He had them on three different farms near Westfield. It may have been a good area because of the weeds or , they just liked the mounds, but they were always there.

I can't remember what the weeds were that grew on them, but they were always those heavy stalked barn weed types.He had them on three different farms near Westfield. It may have been a good area because of the weeds or , they just liked the mounds, but they were always there.

I know the weeds you speak of. Always loved hunting farm lots that had gone fallow. Probably kochia.

Back