Great Start to the season!

JMD

Took my three year old yellow lab (Baylee) out this weekend and ran her on some chukars. This was the first time she's been on live bird since last SD pheasant season...I know, I know... bad on my part :eek: Man, she did GREAT, flushed a couple and actually pointed on a couple. Typically she's just a flusher, does great at it and that's fine with me, but the pointing sure was pretty. Last year she was a little hesitant on retrieving dead birds, again my lack of training her well enough. Saturday she retrieved just about every one - and brought them right to me, no chewing and released immediately :thumbsup: I was so proud of her, she's got me even more excited for our SD trip now...I promised her I'd get her on more birds this year! Every time I put her on birds she seems to learn more than any amount of training I give her - I am blessed in that area for sure.

Oh yeah, my 12 yr old son also shot his first ever flushed bird this year :cheers: - overall this weekend was a GREAT one!!!

Kind of sad how I got a whole paragraph for the dog and one sentence for the son, huh? :rolleyes:

birds,birds and more birds are what gets prey drive developed and that is what you are discovering. Fortunately, I can do a lot of that on late season hens in SD and I do not have to buy many training birds.

JMD I uderstand your excitment I took my pup out this weekend and he did great with chuckars as well,I even shot over him for the first time I was just smiling from ear to ear the entire weekend. My wife and kids just couldn't understand how my dog made me so HAPPY!!! :D

JMD Congrats on the good hunt. Happy to hear you had fun........Non

Way to go. :10sign: They don't forget much if anything at all do they.

Did you plan to have your son eyeing nice shotguns before girls, or is it too late for that? ;)

Keep the son training and hunting cause once they turn 16 its girls and school sports. It was great when my 2 boys were younger made for some great quartering training with them rolling in birds. Thier football goes to dec makes that SD trip cold. Have fun with them. Springer chaser.

Back