Great hunting accomodations

carptom1

Ok so the harp music at the high priced, orvis endorsed:eek:, Paul Nelson farms pheasant extravaganza ( btw jon, on the website a single hunter is 7595.00 for 3 days, unless you want the kings quarters which is a 1200.00 upcharge:eek:) made me think about some of the great venues for some of my hunting adventures.

A farmhouse in Norton Kansas that was full of stink bugs. Man that place was nasty. No indoor toilet. The guy even told us not to bring our dogs in the house:).

I was talking to some guys on a work site about hunting about 15 years ago. I worked an invitation to hunt some private ground on opening day cause I had dogs. We had to meet this old barfly out in a bar somewhere around jamestown ks. As we were leaving with the keys to our trailer she yelled at us, with a salem 1000 in her mouth, not to leave anything in the trucks because the druggies will steal anything down there. The trailer smelled like piss, and the floors were rotted. There were a stack of soiled mattresses in the corner. I slept in the recliner the first night, and in the back of the truck with the dogs on the second. I do remember the hunting was good.

Stayed in a rotten old farmhouse outside of Pierre with this crazy old woman about twenty years ago. She got pretty drunk every night and tried to crawl in bed with one of the guys for a little somethin somethin on the 3 or 4th night we were there. The next day she accused us of stealing some money and called the police on us. That was really weird.

Stayed in a rotten old farmhouse outside of Pierre with this crazy old woman about twenty years ago. She got pretty drunk every night and tried to crawl in bed with one of the guys for a little somethin somethin on the 3 or 4th night we were there. The next day she accused us of stealing some money and called the police on us. That was really weird.

Well, after reading that I had to clean up a mouth full of morning coffee:eek:.

From experience I know to turn my head away from my computer so we're all good:thumbsup:

Thanks Tom:D.

Nick

I stayed in a "renovated" hog barn near Redfield SD years ago. My buddys kid stayed in camp one day as he had the flu. Later that year his son was named in a paternity suit by the farmers daughter. It never went anywhere as his kid had not gone through puberty yet! I guess the Farmer put his daughter up to it..... My buddy is VERY well off and thought his daughter and grandchild would be well cared for. The hog barn wasn't that bad though

When my dad was younger he'd hunt with my mom's father and brother. We had a distant cousin in the sandhills and they would go over there to hunt quail on his ground. One afternoon they had brought some chicken over for cousin "Eddie", and were setting around the kitchen table eating it off of a napkin on the knee. I guess it was quite the place. My uncle Steve had just helped himself to seconds.And out of nowhere one of Eddies dogs slams open the screen door, tares through the house grabs the piece of chicken and exits out the kitchen window.

carptom1, can't top that!

My worst stay was on a fishing trip to AR. The resort :) had several pretty crummy cabins, and one trailer for when those were full. I got the trailer. Nasty smelling inside, and the paneled walls were rotting from the bottom up. There was one bed and one box-looking thing with a dirty old foam cushion on it that passed as a second place to sleep. I gave my buddy and his son the bed. Woke up in the morning with ants crawling all over me.

Those are some great stories!

Tom you shoulda gave her the ole "what for" and got a discount! LMAO!!!!

It's kind of a different storey that what you all have shared but I'll share anyways.

I was quail hunting some land in a pretty rural area (very rural for Ca) that is strictly hike in and is brutally hot in the summer. I was 4 or 5 hills in when I hit a nice valley dotted with oaks and and scrub brush that looked pretty birds. I'm following down it when I see an old dilapidated ranch house looking like it was ready to be blown over by the wind. Right about then JP put up a covey and a drop a quail and persue them towards what I believe is an abandoned house miles from any dirt road/ power/ running water, to find a very upset old lady well into her 90's very upset about me hunting on "her" land.:eek: As I was apologizing (even though I'm 100% sure it was indeed blm land) I here a man yell from the back "Ma. What's goin' on out there?" Needless to say I didn't need to hear any banjo music playing to get on my horse and get the he'll out of there in a hurry.:D

Those are some great stories!

Tom you shoulda gave her the ole "what for" and got a discount! LMAO!!!!

Believe me, there was a time I might have thrown one for a good place to hunt:thumbsup:. The two guy's she liked the most were the ones getting tanked with her every night. They even went into Ft Pierre and bar-hopped one night. Fun times. I do remember her being pretty rough. Her uncle was the one that owned the land we hunted on. I remember it being like 75 a night for lodging, some ground to hunt, and a liittle something extra....... if your up for it.:)

I probably shouldn't complain since it was free. A farmer friend of mine in SD had passed away and his farm house was sitting untouched while the family settled ownership issues. We got an invite to use it for free for a week in December and when we showed up the once nicely kept up place had been over run by attic flies. They were so thick you couldn't lay a 50 cent piece on any flat service without covering three flies. It was something else. We found out that if we kept the heat at 50 degrees it didn't wake them up so we spent the week wearing lots of sweatshirts and making sure a pair of shoes was always handy for getting out of the bed or the shower. I am pretty sure there was no harp music.

Funny stories guys! I love to read some of them. Tom remind me never to go hunting with you unless I check the place out first. I have had a few scares myself. In my younger years went to SD to hunt. It happened to be opening weekend for deer hunting. No place to stay anywhere in any town. Picked up a card off of a bulletin board and called a farmer. We found a place to stay and hunt! He used us to drive deer to himself. The farm house? Lots of fly's some dead, some alive, lots on the fly paper. Not a place to bring your wife or kids but we did shoot birds.

Wow! My experience in a run-down hotel in Kansas sounds like a 5-star hotel! These stories remind me why I have a small trailer I now take with me when I spend the night. Even in 0-degree weather, I am comfortable, with a clean bed and bathroom.

Thanks for the stories!

Last edited:
Wow! My experience in a run-down hotel in Kansas sounds like a 5-star hotel! These stories remind me why I have a small trailer I now take with me when I spend the night. Even in 0-degree weather, I am comfortable, with a clean bed and bathroom.

Thanks for the stories!

Where was that place at? Some of my finest motel memories were from The Shady Lake in Concordia, very classy.

Tom, what diverse cultural experiences pheasant hunting has brought you. :eek: The worst motel was in South Hutchinson, KS. Dirty, run down, extension cords running every which way. Fortunately, as I often do at a strange motel, I asked to see the room before I paid for it. I kept on truckin'.

Last edited:
There's a motel in Atlantic, Ia. that comes to mind, can't recall the name, but it's a dump. Cockroaches running about and dead roaches in the light fixture. The owner denied there were any problems with roaches, until we confronted him with the light fixture cemetary.

Our fishing camp in Ontario is triple A compared to some I've stayed in...

I was thrown out of a $35.00/night hotel after the first night of 3-day trip for letting my dog sleep in the room. They said, "now we have to clean room because of dog!" I said that they have to clean the room anyway, right? The owner of the place just shrugged, tipped her head to the side and said, "ehhh....."

It was just a little dog hair, not like the dog pissed in the room or anything... If they didn't normally clean the room, I'm sure there was a lot worse stuff in there than dog hair... :eek:

My dad and I hunted the Anita Iowa area and we stayed at the grand hotel. This was a bare bone hotel that didn't mind hunters and their dogs. The owner often said the dogs were better behaved then their owners.......it was always a mad rush at the end of the day to get a shower with hot water, towels were as thin as paper and usually had to visit chiropractor after staying there a few nights. When it came right down to it, the price was right and all we wanted was a place to rest our heads after a day in the field, not plush but great for bird hunters.

Back