Grass awn

niceshot

I am really worried that my dog has a grass awn in her nose. Please share your experience/advice. Can anyone recommend a vet in Sioux Falls,SD that would be skilled in the use of a fiber optic scope for looking in a dogs nose.

I am really worried that my dog has a grass awn in her nose. Please share your experience/advice. Can anyone recommend a vet in Sioux Falls,SD that would be skilled in the use of a fiber optic scope for looking in a dogs nose.

The sooner you find out the better. Ask if they know how to deal with them. If there is a wound and a hole where it went in creating a track. Dye can be used to find it with a ultra sound or xray one or the other. Please save the sample and a vet report if that is what it ends up to be. And get it to me for research please... let me know and good luck.

I've never heard of this. Can someone explain what it is:confused: Thanks:)--1pheas4

Dr. Joe Spoo, he was at last years Pheasant Fest. I think he lives in or around SF. He seemed like a good guy and works with hunting dogs.

Happened to my do about 15 years ago. I didn't know it, but she kept sneezing constantly. I brought her in, the vet shined a light up her nostril and pulled it out with the needle nozed plier. Any vet in Sioux Falls can handle this. Good luck

YIKES, now I know why my dog has had several sneezing fits immediately after running thru the type of stuff described in the article - I always assumed he was allergic to a certain type of grass or weed! I have looked every time up his nose, in his eyes, ect. & couldn't find a thing...I will be paying much closer attention next time.

This is the first dog out of four I have ever had this problem with - and it has been repeatedly. I wonder if there is something already lodged deep inside or if he on keeps getting into these type of awns (primarily during my backyard training in the Denver foothills). I may have just found the answer to a long-puzzling question of what keeps making my dog sneeze violently & pawing at his eyes from time to time. This has never happened out in the rooster fields or a duck blind, only in my heavily weeded mountain backyard.

Last edited:
Might be worth having checked out hhR. I have heard some pretty horrific stories. Some of these awns won't quit until they hit bone.

I mostly run in the grouse woods. We just don't have a lot of pheasants here in MI. So most of the time I don't even think about it. However, one of the CRP fields I hit has a huge patch of fox tail in it. I cringe every time my dog goes in.

Back