Governor's Ringneck Classic

PassItOn

The Kansas Governor's Ringneck Classic invited Pass It On - Outdoor Mentors to bring 2 youths to the hunt again this year. We feel very blessed to be able to take two of the youth who are participating in our Outdoor Mentoring program to participate in this great event.

16-year old Krystie & 13-year old Montez were selected for this year's event. Krystie was recently matched with an Outdoor Mentoring couple. Montez is still waiting for someone to step up and become his Outdoor Mentor. The kids had to take a 1/2 day off from school on Thursday and all of Friday. Krystie said the school administrators weren't going to give her an excused absence, so we took a picture of her with Governor Brownback to convince them she was really there!

The kids had a great time on the hunt. We shot sporting clays on Friday morning, in spite of blustery winds and chilly temps. Montez's shoulder was a bit tender by the end of the day as he shot over 12 boxes of shells! Krystie's Outdoor Mentor Marnie won the Ladies Sporting Clays shoot! We also took some time on Friday afternoon to visit Monument Rocks.

On Friday, guides Joe & Rod took Krystie and Montez along with the 2 youths who were selected from essay's they had written on a pheasant hunt. They walked a cut corn field that had grassed terraces. They youths were a bit intimidated on the first couple of passes through the field and hesitant to take some shots when the roosters burst from cover. But they soon got over that! By the end of the morning they had only shot 3 roosters, but by the end of the day, they had tallied 11 ringnecks! They got to see some great dog work and the guides said all of the youth hunters were safe in the field and good hunters!

wIMG_1870_0.jpg

The Ringneck Classic gives each of the youth hunters a lifetime KS hunting license and a lifetime Pheasants Forever membership in addition to a "swag bag" with all kinds of goodies for the hunter.

There were hunters from 13 states and 2 foreign countries at the hunt this year. It was a wonderful opportunity for the kids.

Pass It On - Outdoor Mentors wishes to thank the Ringneck Classic and the Kansas Department of Wildlife Parks and Tourism for providing the youths with the lifetime hunting license and the PF membership.

So great that you are getting kids out in the woods thanks for your dedicated efforts doing this.

The kids had to take a 1/2 day off from school on Thursday and all of Friday. Krystie said the school administrators weren't going to give her an excused absence, so we took a picture of her with Governor Brownback to convince them she was really there!

This makes me so angry. Schools that think the only place a child can get an education is in their school. I guarantee their day and a half out of school was worth more than a week of classes, probably more than a month.

I love seeing youth hunters. I'm mentoring my 14yr old daughter this year and she is Super excited. Good job!

My daughter is slowly passing me up. She has killed 2 pheasants this year. I have killed none. She has killed 2 deer. I have killed none. She's killed 16 quail to my 14...Can't get ahead of her!

Back