good day today...

rascal

well...weather is crappy at home in Illinois...so I escaped to KANSAS...lol had a good day....only found 2 coveys though....and few singles....I did see 3 pheasants too....I'm still shocked about that...lol

Ace pointing a covey...

pointing a single....

Jag and I with a single he pointed...

Nice job! You must be shootin a heck of a lot better than I am this year. I think Ive missed a dozen or more shots this year. But thats ok...At least they're out there to miss! :D

Steve...have you been out? finding many birds? bunch of my spots that have always had birds in the past...I didn't find any on this time around.

THANKS guys....I just came for today and most of day tomorrow then have to get home for duck hunting with friends Thursday morning and dinner at noon with family. we usually quail hunt Thanksgiving on some private ground in IL that is usually VERY good. unfortunately my family connection to those farms wants to duck hunt....so guess we are duck hunting:rolleyes:

Steve...have you been out? finding many birds? bunch of my spots that have always had birds in the past...I didn't find any on this time around.

I have only gotten out a little, and it has been with my Daughter 8 month old setter pup, because Indy is cut up and has some staples. But we have been finding a decent number of coveys so far. Its not outstanding, but better than last season.

glad your finding birds...I drove home through Manhattan today.....sorry to hear about Indy...hope he heals up fast

Looks awesome.. been up here in SO dak pinning some roosters with Riser... I am sure no one feels sorry for me.. but I really want to try some quail.. I have never even seen a real one!!

Looks awesome.. been up here in SO dak pinning some roosters with Riser... I am sure no one feels sorry for me.. but I really want to try some quail.. I have never even seen a real one!!

I think they are beautiful

IMG_3673_zps9a8f2ea5.jpg

For me it brings back childhood memories. I have always lived in eastern kansas. When I was growing up we had a large covey that lived in about 160 ac or so of land locked grass fields across from our house. My dad and I were able to work our dogs on that covey for 6-8 years until the developers finally came for it. Every morning hearing them call was pretty cool. It was a sad day when the ground was finally turned for a mall and some condos. If you have never stood in the middle of 20-30 quail busting at your feet, you have missed something.

My best childhood friend and I got out for 4hrs back home today. His 13yo daughter joined us, and carried her unloaded youth model 20ga:thumbsup: Warm, dry, and windy conditions were less than ideal, but the dogs managed to point 8 or 9 "shootable" birds for us (from 2 nice coveys). My buddy missed 5 in a row:D In his defense, the trees kinda got him on one shot and one bird flew at his face. The one that flew at his face was pointed by both dogs...he approached from the front and narrowly escaped a brush with a buzz-bomb. His daughter giggled as she watched him miss a desperation shot. Its great hearing a grown man yell during an encounter with a 6oz bird:)

BTW, the one thing the young lady's mom took from their conversation was that the girl liked her first bird hunting experience because it was warm, the dogs were "really neat", and dad didn't make her stay quiet like when they're deer hunting.

Almost forgot, 4 birds died in the making of this great memory:cheers:

great story.....glad you were able to get into some birds...especially for the youngster...:thumbsup:

Back