Going today in the snow?

THOR4

Hi - I had good luck midweek in the catails on the WPA by Biscay, thought about trying further south. Anyone going out today....or is that pointless/too crazy with the wind, etc.? I was thinking about trying to get out this afternoon before the brutal cold hits tomorrow - just looking for opinions. Thanks!

Hit'em up:thumbsup: I've done fine hunting in nasty weather before. The down falls.......birds sit really tight and when they do fly it's like trying to hit a rocket! They're very easy to miss. I just use the excuse the birds are flying faster than my shells:D --1pheas4

Yea crazy, 20" and 50mph wind in some areas. HA!!! not here, got no snow to speak of up in Alex. Headed out to train pups today. Gota darn baptism tomorrow. Why do some people have to pump out so many kids.:D Gona have a talk with my brother, he's worse than a rabbit. Cuts into quality time spent with roosters.

Just saw a snowmobile drive down our street in Lakeville. Temps supposed to drop 30 degrees in next 24 hours. Winds in 20's and windchills in -20's. Zero visibilitiy.

This one will go down in the books! Be safe out there!

I made it out yesterday morning and got two birds. Put up 4 others but someone forgot how to aim properly (my dog is blaming me for this!). I'll stay in today, I just dont see a need to fight 30 mph winds and -30 wind chills. Kill the wind and I'll be the first one out the door.

what part of hunting in the snow is crazy thats the best time to hunt for a multitude of reasons better scenting eisier tracking if you don't have a dog and becouse it keeps peaple that think it is crazy in the house so their is less competition

what part of hunting in the snow is crazy thats the best time to hunt for a multitude of reasons better scenting eisier tracking if you don't have a dog and becouse it keeps peaple that think it is crazy in the house so their is less competition

GCB, come on up, the hunting is great! I don't know how you will get here seeing that the interstate is closed and all but there is plenty of snow for ya.:D

I'm surprised you all up there are still able to get on the internet...how much longer till you lose power?!

I always liked hunting pheasant in a good snow storm, but it sounds like what you are getting is a little more than just a good snow storm. If it makes you feel any better, it's 44 degrees down here right now, with only a high of 49 tomorrow :)

Just saw a snowmobile drive down our street in Lakeville. Temps supposed to drop 30 degrees in next 24 hours. Winds in 20's and windchills in -20's. Zero visibilitiy.

This one will go down in the books! Be safe out there!

I'm not sure those Kansas boys could hack the hunting here on a day like today those EP's would be dog sickles LOL. Nor would I want to deal with there heat. We trained in it from 130 to 430, we were behind a big pine stand. All in all it was a great training day. I will take any day here like this and be greatful we did not get all that snow. 2 of our training group lives in Lakeville. Might be your neighbors. Stay safe down there in your travels every one, that was a real winter storm.

Last edited:
KS

Gove County

Let me explain what part is crazy. I just finished shoveling my drive and my deepest drifts are 5 feet plus tall. Barreling through waist high plus snow is cruel and unusual punishment to put your dog through.

Don't get me wrong I love hunting in snow when it's 2 to 3 feet or less.

The fields are wide open here and you come down and enjoy as much of the best part of hunting as you can stand.

As for me I'd rather put myself and my dog in a safer environment. The snow out there, coupled with the wind chill is not worth it.

I guess that's the best part about America; everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Happy Hunting

What part of hunting in a blizzard ISN'T crazy.

Birds have it tough in a real storm like this one was for you southern folks.

I'm not sure it's a great thing to move birds out of good cover in such weather, unless you send them to just as good or better cover. I've seen them frozen--literally--in poor cover before in such weather.

Nothing to speak of up here, but it's a bit nippy. Sun's out though, and it's warmed up to 3 degrees above zero. Heat Wave!

Back