go out with bang

Remtech

This will be the last weekend for pheasant hunting so for anyone that's heading out this weekend good luck and end this season with a bang.

I'll be out chasing Rooster s till the day I can't.

There's still birds out there;) Many are have discovered their legs by now so the chase will be on.:)

Good luck.

Made it out with the youngest son home from school. Had a strategy to get to some isolated spots for success. Had a nice walk in great weather, and ended up flushing the lone rooster right next to a picked corn field. Son dropped it with one shot from his great grandfathers Stevens 311A. He refinished the stock, and loves to carry it for pheasants. Great day outdoors. Now time to watch the Packers!

Took Mick out for a mid-morning meander on local land. Not much in the way of birds, but the Sun was out, the temps in the mid-20s, and just a little breeze made a remarkable day for Wisconsin at the end of December.

We'd been out last week on the State property and only moved one bird, which put on a foot race for Mick that was just fun to watch. He zigged and zagged, and then bounced up three or four times in the hundred yard race before the bird took flight.

Just a treat to see.

:)

Made it out with the youngest son home from school. Had a strategy to get to some isolated spots for success. Had a nice walk in great weather, and ended up flushing the lone rooster right next to a picked corn field. Son dropped it with one shot from his great grandfathers Stevens 311A. He refinished the stock, and loves to carry it for pheasants. Great day outdoors. Now time to watch the Packers!

Sounds like a good day out in the field. Any roosters harvested this time of year in Wisconsin are usually earned birds.

I look forward to next season when I will have an opportunity to hunt with my son using the mentor program.

Last bird of 2014 for us...

and if it had taken much longer to find it, I was ready to head back home. :)

But it was sunny and dry and I'll never get these days back, so out Mick and I went. I think my blood has thinned with the unusually warm weather, because my hands starting icing up, or felt like it just before Mick started working the bird.

A good day for both of us.:)micklookingawaypheasantschair11-2-12.jpg

Last edited:
and if it had taken much longer to find it, I was ready to head back home. :)

But it was sunny and dry and I'll never get these days back, so out Mick and I went. I think my blood has thinned with the unusually warm weather, because my hands starting icing up, or felt like it just before Mick started working the bird.

A good day for both of us.:)

Nice job Kis and Mick! Mick sure does want to capture his good side in that photo :)

Nice job Kis and Mick! Mick sure does want to capture his good side in that photo

Thank you. That's an old photographer's trick. You pick up more detail and angularity of the neck and skull, a sense of dynamic tension, and in this case, you get the dog looking away from the sun and eliminate squinting into the camera.

I tossed a stick to my right.

Decades ago, taking shots at horse shows, I carried a squeaky toy to perk up the horses' ears and get their eyes focused on me for the shot.

We also made it out one last time yesterday. Scratched up one rooster with our female springer. A little cool, but a great day for a walk. Kismet, how did you come to use a 370 single shot for pheasants? Something I think I may look at myself.

I'll be warm. Both sons out being fitted for suits today. No time to chase birds in the cattails. Of well. If was a great year. I here you on weight. I carry a 20 gauge citori featherweight. I think it's under 6 lbs. but I'm always looking for lighter. Tilkut comes from an old novel. Friends gave me the name.

Thank you. That's an old photographer's trick. You pick up more detail and angularity of the neck and skull, a sense of dynamic tension, and in this case, you get the dog looking away from the sun and eliminate squinting into the camera.

I tossed a stick to my right.

Decades ago, taking shots at horse shows, I carried a squeaky toy to perk up the horses' ears and get their eyes focused on me for the shot.

That's good to know. I thought Mick was just trying to be a ham. How long have you been doing photography Kis?

Tilkut? Here's "origin" post; put the 370 in this shape a year ago October:
http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15116

Shorthairs4Life: Picture-taking:
All the way back to when there was "film" and magic chemistry involved! Getting paid for it? Long time back for corporations; taught adult ed courses in photojournalism at Loyola Univ. Chicago;and took horse show images at quarter horse and hunter/jumper shows back in the 70's. A lot of corporate photography and lecturing.

Technology has rendered me obsolete. :D

Now you need to convert the 370 to english stock. My younger son has been surfing the web to pick up a project. He also us looking to cut something down to 25 inches and install chokes. Can I ask why you chose 25 inches"?

I guessed at it, mostly. I like the amount of weight on the forearm, the sighting plane--based on a modification I had done on an Mosin-Nagant surplus rifle--and the balance. No great science to my choice. I have a 26in AYA 20ga Matador II sxs and have always felt good with the length and weight distribution of that.
The stock is fine for me; this is just a shooter's gun, not a work of art. :) Comes up quickly and gives me more time to track after the flush.

I'm old; it's light.

It's that time of year again. I haven't been out, but how'd you guys do these last days of the season/year?

Merry Christmas and Happy and Safe New Year.

Beginning of the season started out great in my area......East/Central, public land.
I have not been out as much as I would like this last month. South Dakota pheasants, Bay de Noc walleyes and work got in the way!
There are birds still around, but they have smartened up and been spooky.
Still got til January 7th.....still time to get some hunts in.

It's that time of year again. I haven't been out, but how'd you guys do these last days of the season/year?

Merry Christmas and Happy and Safe New Year.
Holy moly....did you just ressurect a 7 year old thread ? or are my eyes deceiving me.....lol
But to your question.....nada for me. Been on the IRL for awhile.....really hoping to catch the tail end of some seasons out here west of the rockies....

Back