Getting Ready for Season

Obsession

Pheasant season is only months away so I ask:

"What are the steps you take to get you dog ready for opener?"

This will be my Brittany second season in the field. Last year I spend many hours doing basic exercises and lots of reps. When season came I had moderate expectations and she did a lot of learning on the job. By season's end she was a fine partner and I received many compliments on her performance.

This year I want her to start the year a the same level which she ended last. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

"Get ready"? Training is a year-round endeavor! :D

Typically I will pick up some pen-raised birds, usually quail, for a couple of hunts before the wild birds start. Unfortunately there's not enough wild birds near me to run on wild birds before season.

I had never done it before a month ago but to get a dog in top condition "Roading" is a great method. I had my 1 1/2 year old female Brittany at her breeder/trainer for the month of June to work on some delivery issues. He started her on a conditioning program which was mainly roading, so I continued it when I got her back. I bought a bicycle to ride while she runs. I'm a half mile from the country and a gravel road. Leaving the house I put her on the leash and she literally pulls me all the way to the gravel. I then take her off and away we go. I'm pedaling about 10-12 mph and I can't keep up with her. She's down the road, then from one ditch to the other and also out in the fields. When I started we were doing 5 miles. Today we did 9.3 miles in 50 minutes. She was full bore the whole way. She has lost about 4 lbs. and is really firming up. I do this about 3 times a week. And it's been great exercise for me. Pedaling on the gravel at 10-12 mph for 50 minutes really gets the heart pumping and the legs burning.

I run her in NSTRA trials and have a couple trials this fall before the season starts. She is ready right now. Best condition I've ever had a dog in at this time of year.

That is pretty impressive. I am not sure I or my dog would live through that!

Do you ever take your dog out in the field to flush wild birds in the off season? I was thinking about giving it a try, but thought it might confuse her to some degree if I did not have my gun. Perhaps blanks?

Do you ever take your dog out in the field to flush wild birds in the off season? I was thinking about giving it a try, but thought it might confuse her to some degree if I did not have my gun. Perhaps blanks?
I've thought the same, thus I pick up some non-natives to shoot at (check the laws in your state to insure you're legal).

That is pretty impressive. I am not sure I or my dog would live through that!

I do take my dogs out to some public areas and simulate hunting except I don't take a gun. It's great exercise and experience for the dogs. but watch your state regulations. Here in South Dakota you cannot train dogs on wild birds from April 15th through July 31st. And that's on either public or private land. They don't' want you to disturb nesting and young chicks.

Back