getting out

Been doing some ice fishing, but have to work for what you catch. The long winter has the fish in a negative mood. A friend has a permanent shanty on a shallower lake where you can sight fish for panfish. A lot of the fish we see have no interest in biting at all. Fished saturday and scraped together a meal of gills. Over 2 feet of ice in SE Wisconsin.

Sounds tasty I just don't have the patience to sit over a hole like that.

Hopefully in the next 2 or 3 weeks the river warms up and I can get some pre spawn pike action going.

Have got out a little bit for rabbits with some success and have tried for coyotes but I can't call one of them in for nothing.

Your right about spending hours looking down a hole being a kind of long day. Beverages and grilled food help ease that pain.

Rabbit hunting...I used to do a lot of that. Keep telling myself I need to get back into it, but the snow depth makes a lot of walking not so much fun. Used to use a ruger 22 pistol. It was great sport.

Snows shoes help but it was still pretty rough when I got these. Hunting a brushy bowl in the middle of a open field and it had several feet of snow in places.

Trading in my annual South Dakota prairie dog shoot for a new pup, now we're preparing for the new addition instead of reloading.
Can't wait for the snow to go, got some good bucks on camera. Hope to find their sheds.
Hit the lottery earlier this month.....finally drew a Wi bear tag after 11 years
Only been outside with snowmobile gear on.
Come on spring! I think we'll be turkey hunting in the snow just like last year!

been doing pretty good on some rabbits this year.

Some predator hunting. Got some coyotes down to help out the deer and game birds.

Also been training my GSP to find shed antlers, Ball full of energy needs something to do in the off season to occupy his nose and drain some energy.

shed training has gone pretty well, just got to the point of someone else hiding the antlers (with dokken antler scent on them) where I don't know where they are and he is finding and retrieving them no problems. Shed hunting season is almost here and time will tell if the training will pay off.

Wisturk? That's more work than I can do these days; you EARNED those bunnies. :)

You hunt with your GWP on rabbit? I always did, but I'm not sure I was such a rabbit hunter as I was a guy with a dog and a gun. My female was superb; Young Bert, the not-right dog, was generally out of control all the time, and I loved him for it.

I had both dogs down for that hunt Drahthaar (gwp) and the brittany. They both will get rabbits out of brush piles but I have to pass up a lot of shots because Willy is pretty dang quick.

I've made it out to the hunt club twice since the end of the season. Plan on getting out to scout a lot from mid-march to mid-April. Need to see how many pheasants made it and need to find out where the Turkey's are hanging out.

Was at my dad's house in Franklin two weeks ago tomorrow. Had eight deer come through along the woods edge. Four were bucks all still carrying both sides. One was a brute! Good luck on your hunt.

Mick and I have been dog-sitting a 5 year female DD, Citori, for the past eight days while her owners go on a company trip he qualified for. Nice dog. Puppy tussles from about the third day onward are kinda fun; great growls and ball-O-dawg rolling through the dining room. :)

However, note to self: Try not to take in four more muddy feet when the big melt of Spring starts, and the dogs are galloping in and through every bit of squishy mud in Wisconsin.

Lotta towel washing. :D

Muddy it is.

I was out setting out some jugs of water in a picked field today to shoot with my 7mm and the 300 or so yard walk was a mess. Icy and muddy.

Was at my dad's house in Franklin two weeks ago tomorrow. Had eight deer come through along the woods edge. Four were bucks all still carrying both sides. One was a brute! Good luck on your hunt.

Didn't make it out on Saturday so we went to the cabin for a couple hours today.
It was cold enough to walk on top of the snow most of the time, but when it broke it was about to the middle of my thigh.....
We have a few cobs in our standing corn field we left up for the animals, really looks to be paying off.
We seen 8 deer, 2 roosters, 3 grouse and about 50-70 turkeys come out of the field when we walked up.
Shed just laying on top of the snow.

Think it might be really easy to teach an old dog new tricks!
Showed him the bone today for the first time, put him in the house...
Flinged the thee sets in the bushes around the yard, brought him back out
And told him to find the bone! 1 min later.....

Back