German Shot Hair Breeders

BenBelly

Working on getting back into upland hunting, I'm looking into breeders and strongly leaning toward the GSP. One breeder in Iowa, Top Gun, was recommended. Does anyone know about this breeder? Any and all recommendations are welcome - Thanks!!

Ben I know its a drive but they're having a NAGDA gun dog competition at guns and roosters near Porterville this weekend. A lot of good guys and breeds (including gap) will be there. If you can come out and watch us run, some of these guys breed some nice dogs.

I'll be running my springer dog.

Working on getting back into upland hunting, I'm looking into breeders and strongly leaning toward the GSP. One breeder in Iowa, Top Gun, was recommended. Does anyone know about this breeder? Any and all recommendations are welcome - Thanks!!

Check out Chris Riddle 6R Upland Kennels in Grinnell Iowa. He has a awesome bloodline and his dogs are great to watch work. I bought a puppy from him in October from him and could not be any happier with it.

6ruplandkennels.com

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately we have plans this weekend but maybe next time. I've seen guys with Springers but know little about them. What are their strong "points", no pun here, lots of research to go.

6R Upland Kennels

Make sure you do! Chris is a great breeder and a great guy as well. Nicest guy that you will ever meet.

When we were looking at dogs he took my wife and me out to the fields so we could watch his dogs work. I had never seen a bird dog hunt before this and it was great watching them.

Have you ever had a GSP before? There is a lot of research you need to do ! What Line of GSP are you looking for or that suits your hunting style and so on!! Some lines are better suited for house and some for kennel ! You have to decide !!!! And this is just the begining!!!

I'm on the site now and it looks very good. It's going to be hard to decide between the reputable breeders. Testimony like your will help a lot - Thanks Madison County

Look for HillHaven lines if this is your first GSP. HH HUSTLER, STRADIVARIUS BROUQE etc.Check Horizon Kennels in Sioux Falls. These lines produce nice pets that hunt well.

Springers were built to hunt pheasants and that's what they excell at. Mine are great quail hunters on the quail we have here but I wouldn't expect them to do nearly as well as a pointing breed on bob whites. They are natural retrievers, mine regularly retrieve doves for 5 or 6 guns. And are great family dogs.

I'm not trying to push springers (even though they are the best :D) It takes a lot of research to find the right breed for you. I'll try to give you a better heads up next time, you'll see a lot of different breeds run at these events.

BleuBijou - I've hunted with them and gotten to know a few great GSPs. Yes, I have lots of research to do because I understand the responsibility involved. I know the basics of training and overall care. Beyond that I know that I am leaning toward a female as I think one would be easier to control when coming across deer and the like. The dog will also be an off field buddy with a good temperment. I hope to learn more here - thanks for the information Uncle Buck

Quail Hound - Good info - until I place a deposit or pick-up a dog my mind is open. I have several months to decide and hopefully everyone here will offer lots of input.

BenBelly, the tightest Hustler lines I know of are out of Westwind GSP's in Kansas!!! I believe Gary has the best Hustler stock in the Country!!!! I.C.'s in the high 20's !!!!! ( Inbreed Coefficient) You can Google Westwind GSP's!!He has a great web site!!!:thumbsup:

There are so many GSP lines out there that do soooo many different things. First thing is to know what you want out of your GSP. Some line produce track stars, other line produce true versatiles.

Me personally....I'd go "Slick" line all the way!

Check out Hillhaven prodigy. Great pets and hunters too. Horizon Kennels,Sioux Falls, Dave List has some great dogs in that line.

BB,
First let me say, doing your online research is only one step in process of making a lifelong decision on a good dog. Be Careful of the backyard breeders that have a few champions in their bloodlines.

I would visit several prospective breeders after talking with them on the phone first. Have specific questions of interest too you and what you expect from the breed you are getting ready to buy. References from hunters are okay, but spending time on the phone with each potential breeder and asking for information concerning DNA, OFA, Brucellosis Testing, CERF Exam you can soon weed-out the back yard breeders from the professional breeders that are truly dedicated in producing top-quality dogs.

A nice looking web site also does not mean that they are a reputable breeder. I will not buy a dog without spending time hunting behind the parents, unless I know the breeder personally.

A reputable breeder will also guarantee future testing results on pups, as well as produce a legal contract at the time of purchase. Take your time and it will pay dividends in the long-run. Good Luck!

There are plenty of breeders close to home! Oklahoma produces some really good dogs and Kansas has the most GSP breeders in the country so you wont have to travel far!

Back