Georgia Boy coming to NW Kansas

Bullet1

In the past years I have hunted around the Republic (Belleville), Cloud, and Washington county areas. I understand they had some bad weather there this past spring / summer, so I was going to venture futher west. I was thinking of hunting between Hill City and Norton. Would this be advisable or is there better WIHA land available? WIHA is the only land I will have to hunt on that far west. Thanks! And hope to see you in the fields! Good Luck!

Nw ks

The Hill City and Norton areas have tons of WHIA land. Like most places, some is good, some is better. Secure a WHIA atlas and you should not have any issues finding plenty of space to hunt.

I will be coming for the opening week madness! In general I kind of wanted to know where some of the better WIHA areas are located. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I will be coming for the opening week madness! In general I kind of wanted to know where some of the better WIHA areas are located. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I think the area you have selected is already a good one. Not sure I'd worry about finding a different one. There is so much WIHA out that way it isn't funny. There will be plenty of hunters as well:eek:

Don't forget about some of the other public lands as well. I'm planning to try some federal/state lands other than WIHA this year. There are a lot of government WAs in that region.

Good luck!

South Georgia

I'll be coming from South Georgia.
We come to quail hunt. It sure has been nice the last 2 years with opening days for quail and pheasant being staggered.

Oh well, I guess we will have to hunt with all the pheasant hunters on opening weekend.

Georgia

Georgia does not have the great program that Kansas has with the WIHA. Most of our land is private and it is hard to get permission to hunt.

It's funny to see more out of state tags on the public land than Kansas tags.
Ya'll most make a killing on all the money spent while we are out there.

Georgia does not have the great program that Kansas has with the WIHA. Most of our land is private and it is hard to get permission to hunt.

It's funny to see more out of state tags on the public land than Kansas tags.
Ya'll most make a killing on all the money spent while we are out there.

Indeed! I'm sure the state makes out pretty well on NRs. I hope more of you will come enjoy our great state to help preserve the tradition and in the long run, increase the number of WIHA acres available. Heck, bring the NRs from all the other 49 states and we'll just turn the entire state into public hunting!!!!

Hey KansasBrit..... what shot should I get in non-toxic for hunting pheasants on the Fed./ Gov. WA.'s???? Any brand better than the other? Thanks!

Hey KansasBrit..... what shot should I get in non-toxic for hunting pheasants on the Fed./ Gov. WA.'s???? Any brand better than the other? Thanks!

My apologies Sir, but I can't help you on this one. I'm a poor boy that's always had a hard time paying for steel shot. Ofcourse, this also means that I've had to pass up certain public land opportunities b/c of this fact. There are some great spots surrounding wetlands that require the use of steel shot. I typically don't see the hords of hunters in those areas as in the lead-shot-allowable public areas.

Check out the guns & ammo forum for an answer to your question. There is a thread that pertains specifically to sizing steel shot for pheasants and quite a bit of conversation about brands. If you're planning to hunt both pheasant and quail at the same time, I wouldn't use anything smaller than 6's and let the quail get out about 30 yards.

Good luck!

Back