Gear That Lasted At Least A Decade?

Instinct jacket and pants, when they first came out out. Not the crap Bass Pro is now selling under the same name, heck you can say that about most anything from Bass pro.
Stormy Cromer
Buck Knife I got as a high school grad gift from my only sister and her husband (1984).
I am 58 and have every gun I've owned including my fathers, except for a single shot 20 ga. I gave it to my nieces son, it is where it belongs.

but I remembered the one up north having way more sporting goods.
Fleet Farm's sporting goods dept is generally pretty good but they are really bad about re-stocking. Half the shelves and pegs are empty when I go in there, at any point during the year. Its gotten to be so bad that I simply stopped shopping there because it was so hit or miss as to whether anything was going to be in stock.

Its not just the Brainerd location either. Its a company-wide problem. I presume its because they just don't have enough employees to do it. This has been going on for a decade.

Fleet Farm's sporting goods dept is generally pretty good but they are really bad about re-stocking. Half the shelves and pegs are empty when I go in there, at any point during the year. Its gotten to be so bad that I simply stopped shopping there because it was so hit or miss as to whether anything was going to be in stock.

Its not just the Brainerd location either. Its a company-wide problem. I presume its because they just don't have enough employees to do it. This has been going on for a decade.
It's not labor related. It happened when the mills family sold the business, that is when they started having so much empty shelf space. I've heard they simply have a terrible distribution system from their own warehouse. This comes from a buddy who is a sales rep for fishing gear.

I doubt it is just their distribution system because if it was only that ... the goods would still show up on the shelves mid or late season ... and I doubt it is employee issue either.

Mills historically had a Sourcing purchasing plan of one big buy just before the "season" and when it was gone, it was gone. That plan works on keeping a company from having to run huge clearance sales at season end ... but if it results in lower sales ... or a reputation loss ... well ??

Mills was a private company purchased by an investment company in 2016. I believe their financials are confidential.

There is a 12% off everything special right now. They also have a $10 off $75. I was there this morning in the self-checkout and they let me combine the offers :)

On-line works for most anything now days with many items simply shipping factory direct.

I doubt it is just their distribution system because if it was only that ... the goods would still show up on the shelves mid or late season ... and I doubt it is employee issue either.

Mills historically had a Sourcing purchasing plan of one big buy just before the "season" and when it was gone, it was gone. That plan works on keeping a company from having to run huge clearance sales at season end ... but if it results in lower sales ... or a reputation loss ... well ??

Mills was a private company purchased by an investment company in 2016. I believe their financials are confidential.

There is a 12% off everything special right now. They also have a $10 off $75. I was there this morning in the self-checkout and they let me combine the offers :)

On-line works for most anything now days with many items simply shipping factory direct.
They certainly aren’t what they use to be.

Most of my guns and gear are pretty old.
All of my gear is pretty old and has passed the test of time.

Last year I replaced a pair of Crispi boots that wore out after more than a decade,
I bought 2 new pair (Crispi Colorado) as tough to find size 14 for narrow feet.

I had 3 pairs of Danner Air bob boots made for cabelas i bought when i started working in Nebraska in 1995, I retired the last pair in 2018, I really loved those boots but can stomach paying what they want today for a similar boot. Still using a strap vest I purchased in 1996 when i moved to Michigan. All my guns are pre 1990's still functional. Have a filson double tin wax upland coat that was a gift i received in the late 80's don't wear much. Retired a pair of cabelas guide weight waders that i purchased in 1996 retired in 2020. I have carhartt denim cloth lined shirt/coat that is torn and well worn but still going strong, much to my wife's disgust, i told her if they still made them I would buy a new one.....lol. Have a pair of whites fire fighting boots that will be 30 years old and still going strong, I don't wear for fires have other alternatives.

I had 3 pairs of Danner Air bob boots made for cabelas i bought when i started working in Nebraska in 1995, I retired the last pair in 2018, I really loved those boots but can stomach paying what they want today for a similar boot. Still using a strap vest I purchased in 1996 when i moved to Michigan. All my guns are pre 1990's still functional. Have a filson double tin wax upland coat that was a gift i received in the late 80's don't wear much. Retired a pair of cabelas guide weight waders that i purchased in 1996 retired in 2020. I have carhartt denim cloth lined shirt/coat that is torn and well worn but still going strong, much to my wife's disgust, i told her if they still made them I would buy a new one.....lol. Have a pair of whites fire fighting boots that will be 30 years old and still going strong, I don't wear for fires have other alternatives.
One of my friends hunts with Whites boots. He likes them so much, he sends them back to Whites to be re-soled when needed.
Whites is a company that makes boots by hand and is in Spokane. These days many boots are not MADE in USA. Whites are.

All of my gear is pretty old and has passed the test of time.

Last year I replaced a pair of Crispi boots that wore out after more than a decade,
I bought 2 new pair (Crispi Colorado) as tough to find size 14 for narrow feet.
I love my Crispi boots. The fit and feel is really nice for long days in the field.

One of my friends hunts with Whites boots. He likes them so much, he sends them back to Whites to be re-soled when needed.
Whites is a company that makes boots by hand and is in Spokane. These days many boots are not MADE in USA. Whites are.
Yep, they custom make them for you, have had mine rebuilt a few times. They are excellent boots.

I love my Crispi boots. The fit and feel is really nice for long days in the field.
Speaking of boots . . . I've always had Danners BUT. I've reached the age where pulling Danners on and off is quite a chore. They're tight. Found a solution: Stetson boots. Who actually makes them, I haven't a clue. Their advantage is a full length side zipper, like some dress boots. Makes getting in and out of them easy. They have laces too which you snug and tie after zipping up. Excellent traction from the aggressive sole too.

Last edited:
Back