Gear Review: LL Bean Gore Tex Upland Field Pants

High performance upland body armor created by ruffed grouse hunters for ruffed grouse hunters.

Ruffed grouse hunting is a yeoman?s affair. The ever committed hunter voluntarily forces his body through a tight gauntlet of coverts cutting his flesh into ribbons in search of the elusive flush. It is physically taxing, causing the body to heat up and perspire regardless of the surrounding air temperature. It is treacherous ? grouse and woodcock must find cover in razor-sharp bushes, briars, and bramble that only the insane dare to enter?yet we to do so anyway.

When heading afield to target the ruffed grouse and its crazy cousin, the timberdoodle, is critical to outfit yourself accordingly with reliable gear that is not only protective but comfortable. Given the nature of the hunting, one of the most critical gear items a hunter should take is a good pair of brush pants that must be able to withstand miles of abuse.

The LL Bean Gore Tex Upland Field Pants are one of the best outdoor gear decisions that I have ever made?full stop. True to Bean?s near impeccable reputation for high performance gear, their Gore Tex Upland Field Pants are truly the grouse hunter?s Kevlar. I do not hunt with a canine companion and am forced to play the role of bird dog, crashing through thickets scaring up birds for several seasons now ? my legs have yet to suffer a single scratch while wearing these pants. I have worked nasty covers that were too thick to raise a shotgun?sweated profusely in cold weather and have never been uncomfortable. Last season I stepped into a waist deep muck hole while hunting for woodcock and these pants didn?t take in water. I was able to finish out the day no issues.

The LL Bean product development staff do an incredible job in researching field requirements and translating it into functional gear. Something that is readily apparent in their Gore Tex Upland Field Pants. Beyond their performance, the pants have some very thoughtful features that have come in handy for me afield: shot shell pockets with loops on both legs for easy access in high volume situations, dual front slash pockets ? one regular and one zippered for secure storage of keys, etc, ?shirt gripper? waistband to keep your shirt tucked, soft polyester lining for comfort, and extra high reinforced thigh coverage (500-denier Uplander Cloth fabric) for extra protection.

My only issue with these pants is the sizing. For some reason LL Bean uses odd inseam sizes as opposed to the more common even. At 6?2 am a true 32 inch, with the 31 inch is a too short whereas the 33 inch is a too long. The price is comparable to or below the other competitive brands, but still may be a bit rich for some?My view on upland gear is the same as it is when it comes to buying a shotgun: never sacrifice on quality and buy the best your money can buy. NOTE: I bought two more pairs just in case they are ever discontinued, they are that good.

With many ruffed grouse and woodcock seasons are winding down, our focus turns to retooling for next year. Keep the LL Bean Gore Tex Upland Field Pants in mind ? you will not be disappointed.

I've walked a lot of miles in a pair of those pants till the waist shrunk on them and I couldn't wear them anymore :D they were hands down the best upland pants I've ever owned

I bought a pair of these this fall, as I was tired of being soaked from the waist down. They're very comfortable. My only complaint is that they don't breath and hold your body moisture in. Once I stop, I get chilled from the trapped moisture.

Back