Garmin Garmin ALPHA 300 + TT25 vs. Dogtra PATHFINDER2

Hedgerow

Have been running the Dogtra T&B DUAL 2-DOG collar for a few years now for hunting (and training), and the only gripe is the lack of range. Considering upgrading to GPS-enabled collars for our two GWPs given the range seems much better and I sort of like the idea of tracking the dogs throughout the day. Looking at both Garmin and Dogtra there is a huge cost difference. I like the idea of using my phone and watch with the Dogtra collar but I keep reading great things about the Garmin tracking and training collar.

Any opinions, thoughts, or real-world comparisons?

Would appreciate any input or advice.

As someone who has used an Alpha (100 and 300) for almost 8 years, I'd highly recommend Garmin. I can't speak for Dogtra stuff as I've never used it, but Garmin seems to be king of dog GPS equipment. It is pricey, but it definitely lasts. Id still have my Alpha 100 if the 300 upgrades didn't cause me to get that one instead. The 100 is still going strong as I sold it to a family member to use for his new dog.

I also started with the Alpha 100 and spent the money to upgrade to the 300i. It really is a great system. I personally love that they added inreach since I'm in the mountains without service really often.

I don't know much about the dogtra but I don't think I would like using the phone for tracking and then use the separate controller for training buttons. And certainly wouldn't want to use touch screen for training buttons.

Not sure which watches work with dogtra but almost all garmin watches also work with alpha system. Just make sure you look up compatibility first.

Back