Garmin Alpha 100 VS 200/300

Munster927

Wondering how many of you guys that used to run the Alpha 100s have upgraded to the 200/300s? I see Garmin just came out with the 300 recently and am considering an upgrade as I like the sounds of a few features but trying to decide if those features warrant the cost.

Anyone upgrade and happy you did? Or is it not worth the money?

Bumping because I'm interested in this as well. Had the alpha 100 for 4 years and it's been good. A lot of useful things in the 300i since I do use an inreach for my hunting. And the longer battery life is a major thing for me. But $850 when I already have a working unit is hard to justify. From my view the 200i is very useless when you can do the 300 and if anyone is getting a unit for the first time, the 300i seems the way to go off the back.

I'm almost hoping I break mine on accident to give me a reason for a new one.

Bumping because I'm interested in this as well. Had the alpha 100 for 4 years and it's been good. A lot of useful things in the 300i since I do use an inreach for my hunting. And the longer battery life is a major thing for me. But $850 when I already have a working unit is hard to justify. From my view the 200i is very useless when you can do the 300 and if anyone is getting a unit for the first time, the 300i seems the way to go off the back.

I'm almost hoping I break mine on accident to give me a reason for a new one.
Same. I have a hard time justifying spending $850 when I have one that works. But some of the features seem great and the multi day battery life would be great. Also, something as small as not having the unit beep when my screen is locked but I bump it or it brushes a stick would be great. It seems like such a small thing but man I'm out there beeping away all day with that thing.

Same. I have a hard time justifying spending $850 when I have one that works. But some of the features seem great and the multi day battery life would be great. Also, something as small as not having the unit beep when my screen is locked but I bump it or it brushes a stick would be great. It seems like such a small thing but man I'm out there beeping away all day with that thing.
Do you know for a fact that part is fixed? It annoys me so much I turn off beeps but that means I get no beeps for things like lost signal and out of range which I miss. Just can't put up with extra beeps for screen touches.

Do you know for a fact that part is fixed? It annoys me so much I turn off beeps but that means I get no beeps for things like lost signal and out of range which I miss. Just can't put up with extra beeps for screen touches.
I watched a video on Gun Dog Supply showing a "button only" configuration and he showed screen locking the unit and then touched the screen, nothing beeped and no message came up about the screen being locked that you have to click ok for. Honestly that fix there almost won me over.

Here he shows how to set up a button only configuration but around the 2 minute mark he's touching the screen with it locked and no beeps and no message on the screen comes up saying the screen is locked

Here he shows how to set up a button only configuration but around the 2 minute mark he's touching the screen with it locked and no beeps and no message on the screen comes up saying the screen is locked

Awesome thanks for showing that. At 4:45ish he also mentions the annoying alpha 100 lock so I agree they removed it. I still think I'll wait a little bit on the 300 but maybe as a Christmas present to my self instead of waiting for the 100 to break.

I’m irritated because I bought a 200i about 30 days before the 300i came out. I am moving from an Astro 430 and an InReach Explorer + to a single device. I haven’t hunted with the 200i yet but I’m hoping it works as well as the Astro. I have a Pro 70 that I use for correction and am heavily invested in the separate track and train collars so I won’t be switching to the combo track and train collars anytime soon or ever.

I’m irritated because I bought a 200i about 30 days before the 300i came out. I am moving from an Astro 430 and an InReach Explorer + to a single device. I haven’t hunted with the 200i yet but I’m hoping it works as well as the Astro. I have a Pro 70 that I use for correction and am heavily invested in the separate track and train collars so I won’t be switching to the combo track and train collars anytime soon or ever.
Yeah I bought my 100 probably 4 or 5 years ago now. It works flawlessly other than the minor hiccups that the 200/300 has fixed. The major interest for me is the increase in battery life and some minor fixes they did that I think would greatly enhance ease of use.

I already have 2 TT-15 track and train collars but the new TT-25s also have much better battery life (so they claim) that has me contemplating getting the bundle again and selling 1 collar and the 100. I usually have to charge the handheld and collar after each day of use.

Back