Garmin 550 + protective holster

Mosby

I switched to a Garmin 550+ this year and bought a protective holster from Gun Dog Supply for the controller. I hang mine upside down from a lanyard by my left vest pocket. It is made of Cordova nylon, fits the controller really well, holds tight and the brass snap is pretty stout. I put some bright duck tape on the controller antenna and with the bright color holster, it should give me a chance of finding it, if I drop the controller in the field hunting. The only negative I found(outside of price) is the holster covers up the on/off button and I have to pull it back a bit to turn the unit on/off.

If you have a Garmin 550+ and want a holster....I would recommend this product....FWIW.

Lost my controller last week, expensive mistake.. I’ve got that one on order with the replacement and hope it works. I’ve never found a great place to carry for my controller

Lost my controller last week, expensive mistake.. I’ve got that one o n order with the replacement and hope it works. I’ve never found a great place to carry for my controller.
I bought a new vest for this year and made sure it had a place to attach my controller. I have vests at home that don't.

Loosing stuff in the field sucks. I've read about others loosing their controller out of the leather holsters that have a single snap. If it unsnaps the controller falls out....so I went in a different direction with no snaps and bright colors.

I use variations of these Gear Keeper items to help me custom fit my electronics to my vests. I used these types of devices on my firefighter gear for over 20 years and never has a failure so I know they work and last!
1705618833255.jpeg
1705618865444.jpeg
1705618972680.jpeg
I also use those cell phone lanyards to go through the attachment points on my Garmin devices and hook to another anchor point. It’s probably redundant but I lost an Astro 320 when I missed the pocket on my vest and forgot to attach the lanyard.
1705619326895.jpeg

I have an original tritronics upland special 2 dog. The transmitter is very similar to the Garmin 550. I also have a cheapie Cabelas ecollar setup. I painted both of the transmitters neon orange. I had done some of my older ones that way & had found one of them in cattails after it had fallen out of my pocket. Orange helps!

Back