Gang banging or hunting alone

James O

I find that hunting with a group is a little to organized for me
It kind of takes away the hunting experience.
I like to pick an area that I think there are birds.
If there is a lot of public i will pick a place that has cover Water and food
I can hunt as long as I want,there is no
Blocking moving trucks etc.If I hunt with another guy
Or two and they have dogs we kind of just split up.
I like hunting new areas.Of course if I know area
I will have a plan.but I am willing to change that plan
In a minutes notice.Some big areas i know you have to
Push and block but those areas I stay away from.
Best time for me is after crops are cut.
When I was a boy in massachusetts if you hunted
Hard all day and got one Bird that was a great day
In those days I had no dog.
Now I have two hunting dogs and they are all I need
To call a group.they listen to me ( sometimes)
Are happy to hunt and hang with me.
Every year we go on road trip from CA .
This year we are going to kansas not because there
Are more pheasants than the Dakotas but because they have better
Habitat this year and a lot of public land.So if
I hunt 6 hours in nice habitat and get a few shots
off in places that I picked to have birds than life
Is good.And to me that is part of hunting
Also one more advantage is,getting permission to hunt
On private land.
I love pheasant hunting

Last edited:
Hunting alone has a lot of advantages. It's safe, you are not influenced by other people, therefore you will be more successful.You are not in a competition, so it's more fun. Way easier to get permission, and I've gotten on some great places, that always have lots of birds.

I like to do both. Just me and the dog can be some special times but so too are times out with a group of good friends for a day I the field.

Both are certainly different experiences but both are special.

i rather hunt with my dog or 1-2 other friends, more than that, its a cluster F and success rates go down.

What I consider gang banging includes a bus . I have done that before
When you get 20 people in bus and you go to large field and block it then start walking and birds and dogs everywhere and know one knows who shot birds for sure and then 3 hours later you have 60 birds and hunt is over.
And that's ok to do but I enjoy smaller group up to 3 guys
I think my hunting changed when a got a hunting dog.I personally would not go any more without a dog.It's much more fun for me to hunt with
and watch the dog work.

If you hunt alone, then there is no one to verify your 250 yd shot with the 410!!!;)

I started out in a group of around 10, then hooked up with a couple other smaller groups over the years. In groups I encountered unsafe hunting, a DB that knowingly killed a hen and left it, a DB that shot a turkey and left it, a guy who had the permission who decided not to hunt the second day, guys who didn't respect another hunters' shooting zone, guys bitching about other guys dogs, a guy who had the permission and knew the area who drove off and left me and a couple other behind, guys who have to make all the decisions, guys that won't take a break when asked by one of the group, guys who take the easier path through a field and leave the hard-walking stuff for others, and probably a couple other things I'm forgetting.

Over the years I've come to enjoy going solo more. When I have to work at tolerating one or more people in the group, it detracts from the experience. And, I just like striking out on my own, at my own pace.

I've hunted with some boneheads over the years, I agree with this last comment. If it bothers you, it detracts from the experience.Some people are way too aggressive, and competitive. Those types are idiots, and not fun to hunt with.Also, people who are cheap, and won't pay for gas, booze, ect.They are idiots also.

For me it's all about the experience, more times than not I prefer to have one other with me.But, If the group is good and the field circumstance is right...it'll beat a good day at work.:)

Been hunting with the same 2 gentlemen since 1981. We added one more to the group in 2006, he was a good addition. We been doing it so long there's almost no talking. We see a field or slough and everyone just knows what to do and where to to. Plus we all run Labs from the same lines; almost all natural pointing Labs.

It's been very, very fine.

One of the problems I have with large groups is that folks are conscious of holding everyone up spending a lot of time looking for down birds.

Only time I hunted South Dakota one guy wouldn't spend even a minute on a downed bird. If the dog didn't bring it immediately he called him off and continued. He never stopped marching.

One or maybe two others is best for me. Preferably all in similar physical condition.

Last edited:
One of the problems I have with large groups is that folks are conscious of holding everyone up spending a lot of time looking for down birds.

Only time I hunted South Dakota one guy wouldn't spend even a minute on a downed bird. If the dog didn't bring it immediately he called him off and continued. He never stopped marching.

One or maybe two others is best for me. Preferably all in similar physical condition.

That guy —if observed by a C.O./Warden could be charged with —Waton Waste—Fail to make a attempt to retrieve game —or A similar statute—And would deserve it in MHO:mad:

That guy —if observed by a C.O./Warden could be charged with —Waton Waste—Fail to make a attempt to retrieve game —or A similar statute—And would deserve it in MHO:mad:

I agree, you don't leave a bird in the field.You look for an hour if you have to.

yep look for it let the dog hunt for it
and if i don’t find it i leave that spot and hunt around then come back in twenty minutes or so

i’ve found often that tactic allows enough scent to disperse for the dog to be able to find the crippled bird

makes me sick if i shoot one and can’t find it

Back