Gaining access and courtesy?

Boostedxt

Just curious what your technique is for asking permission to hunt someones land? Do you do it a year in advance? The day of? The week before? How do YOU handle it?

the reason I ask is the land across the street from where I hunt is corn. I am in an older wheat field and have been striking out. Is it OK to just walk up and ask permission?

Thanks
Joe

I just got up the nerve this year, and haven't struck out yet. I make sure they see my dog though, helps with credibility. I struggle with knowing who owns what land, it gets confusing.

I went out today, saw about 20 fly from railroad tracks into a private field. Walked up to the sign, said something like "No hunting, survivors will be prosecuted."

Given the tone of that sign, I assume they don't even want you to ask so I steer clear of those.

That's just me, and I'm not a good pheasant hunter by any means (this is my first serious year).

Thats what I figured....there are tons of corn by where I am at. i am going to start asking around and see what they say. One of my clients went to the local diner and asked the hostess. One of the guys in the place took him right out to his property and gave him the go ahead. hrmmm...

joe

Hey Cowdog,
Where do you get a copy of the plat map? Do you have to contact the county clerk--county by county? Thanks from PairOfLabs.

Thanks Cowdog. Which ones do you get-paper, Ter-Tuf, Book, or cardboard? Do you know how often they update the property owner info? I can contact the company to find out, too.

Mine just a book with paper pages. I dont know how often they update but I think most farms out in yuma stay in the family pretty much so I dont think thats much of an issue. I got mine at the Yuma chamber of commerce and there are other places you can get them

Hey guys, I would keep the plat map/cell phone trick kinda on the down-low...If that were to ever catch fire & farmers start getting frequent calls from hunter-strangers like a bunch of telemarketers, that will be the end of that in short order for all of us! That particular strategy would probably work much better for those like engpointerman who are fortunate enough to live local & already somewhat know some folks and the general area as common reference points...

I do like the plat map idea very much & need to get one myself (I always do things the hard way & just ask around trying to chase the landowner down)...Personally for me, I like the old school approach of a short, gentlemanly visit in person, shaking hands and giving them a fair opportunity to see my face, size me up and decide whether they like me & want to let me on their land (so far this has worked out great for me in gaining long-term access for hunting many types of game over many years across multiple states & I have even been able to build some really neat relationships with landowners over time)...For first-time introductions, I only make a phone call as a last resort if I can't manage to chase the landowner down in person (although I have had fairly decent luck on the phone as well)...I would say I have had about 50/50 luck overall with this approach over the years! :thumbsup:

BAD HUNTER ETIQUETTE--any rude & totally SELFISH behavior such as say impatiently looking over their shoulder and tapping your foot while you drool at all the birds, or taking up a lot of a hard-working farmer's time while he is obviously very busy--are really bad juju for the rest of us trying the same thing after you!!! And for God's sake, don't argue with or get mad at the landowner if he says no! Worst of all, the gluttonous CARDINAL SIN of hunters as far as I am concerned is showing up on the same property nearly every d@#! day of the season once you have gained permission! Bon Jovi should add a new line to his song about these kinds of things - "You give hunters a bad name"... :mad:

As far as timing, it is usually an absolute waste of time & effort to ask permission a year ahead of time. If you wanna kill birds, you gotta earn your scouting and permission-asking stripes like the rest of us & keep movin with the birds. This much I have learned over a lifetime of hunting all kinds of game - if I only had two days to hunt, you can bet I would spend at least half of the first day scouting & locking down permission (especially if I had not had any time at all to scout well beforehand)!!! There is good reason why so many of the 30-35% (or whatever) of successful hunters are the same exact 30% year-after-year & the same old 70% just keep on twiddling their thumbs hoping on a pot-luck wing & a prayer!!!...I most often ask permission while out fresh-scouting my butt off a week or two or several days before the season opens...I do not like to nearly as much, but I have also often even stopped and asked on the day of the hunt when I see something promising, with at least some moderate success.

Hey, if you never ask the answer will always be 100% NO!!! If you are only asking, how much worse can the answer possibly be??? :D

Guys, just always remember--please REPRESENT our fraternity well out there & show a genuine interest in someone besides yourself!!! If ALL of us hunters worked harder at that, we could build a much better name for hunting/hunters & it would benefit us all in the long run!!! We don't need any more of our members constantly shooting our own group in the foot! This is not rocket science here, just the good old golden rule - "Treat people (in this case landowners) like you would want to be treated yourself"! If you were the one who owned the land, would you want to be treated like some hunters act??? :eek:

Yes, do as HHR says! I've been hunting Colorado for 16 years now and have not heard of this Plat map thing once nor do I plan on figuring it out. It is simply too easy to go knock on someones door for me to bother with anything else and I can't imagine calling someone that I don't know, sounds tacky if you ask me.

I enjoy meeting new people and have in many cases I have built relationships that have been going on 10+ years. Several times after NOT being granted access and respectfully thanking the person for their time, I WAS granted permission the next year. Landowners remember people so make a good impression.

Without a being a smart ass a second time. the Platt map gives you the property owners of the ground obviously. But than you can figure out where they live so you can give a knock on the door. Some of these guys farm a 50 mile radius of home base.

Eng,
I was not trying to be a smarty-pants or aiming anything that I said at you personally...I just didn't want to see a sudden fan club of desperate, lazy, unsuccessful, or disgruntled hunters looking for an easy way out & who are nothing at all like you, start up a their own little telemarketing operation & wind up ruining it for the rest of us! :D Cowdog, please take no offense but a regular habit of "just calling from the road" does not seem like a good idea to me at all...

I know I can be a bit long-winded guys (not always so short & sweet or curt as all the rest), but I was mainly trying to be helpful & thoroughly answer the original question about "how & when do YOU go about courteously gaining permission"...

This is somewhat of a sore spot with me, because I have been kicked off a piece of property along with EVERYONE else more than once (i.e.--"no more hunters/hunting" period) because of the uncouth behavior of some yeahoo hunter! I once lost two longstanding dove hunting honey-holes that produced literally hundreds of birds every year for us due to a nationally-known basketball coach & his big-shot cronies who showed up unannounced, killed way over their limit, left dead birds & beer/pop cans laying around, & peppered the people's house to boot! My blood still boils over that one!!! Guess they thought they were above all the rules of proper hunter etiquette for the rest of us peons! :rolleyes:

BTW, thanks for the platt maps tip! I'll be picking one up myself...Sounds like a really helpful tool that will save me a lot of driving around & leg-work in trying to locate a particular landowner, often to find nobody is home after all the hard work. Just want to make sure I use the tool properly & not abuse it!

Last edited:
You didnt offend me by anymeans. My situation is different than you guys. Platte maps are helpful. They are how I first started out when I moved here before I started my business. I started out with very minimal private ground but now it has grown to more than I can hunt in a day. Maybe a week. Good luck out there.

Cowdog,
Thanks again. I'll do some checking with that Nebraska company and also with the county chambers of commerce. Good hunting.

Like EPM said alot of times the farmers house can be alot of miles removed from their fields. The plat map is a tool to help identify who owns what. I don't think its going to make a difference with slob hunters. They don't ask for permission anyway.
I am about helping promote pheasant hunting in the state. I believe that the more success people have the more money they will be likely to spend here as opposed to Kansas or South Dakota and that in turn Is nothing but good for the states pheasant population.

Back