front paw wound

Boomer-IN

2 days ago my black lab cut his front paw pretty badly. Apparently on a piece of glass. He was down in a creek bed near a road and when I kenneled him up I notice him bleeding. It was in the area right behind the pad of his paw. I took him to the vet and he sewed him up good and put super glue over the stiches. Vet said he was good to go and could hunt as soon as the anesthetic wore off. Today I let him run a bit in the back yard and the wound was bleeding again. It was a pretty deep cut about 1 inch long.
Anyone have experience with taking a dog back out with this sort of wound?:(

Yes, Tony got cut on piece of corrugated metal. The only thing I could do was wait until it healed to where I could take him out and not have it break open. Sorry to say that took about a month.......Bob

I carry dog boots just for times like this.........take a dog boot and put cotton balls in it and then put in on the dog. Most dogs not used to boots will not put as much pressure on the paw with the boot. Let it heal and change the cotton balls often. Then go hunting................

I hunted "Smoke" for a couple hours this afternoon and he did just fine.
I put some anti-biotic oinment on the stitched up wound...and then duct taped it with about 3 layers. He hunted normally and did not favor the foot at all. I kept checking him for bleeding...but it never bled a drop! I was very pleased. I think he will be good to go for over Thanksgiving! My son is coming home so I was hoping we could hunt. Looks like Smoke will be able to do his part! :)

I say wait as well...IMHO, hunting dogs show no fear or pain but you know they feel it. He hunts because he knows he is suppose to hunt; it doesn't change the fact that he hurts. A few days or even a week is better than an infection or worse. Why should we expect more from a dog then we do ourselves. I know this sound judgemental and I'm really not trying to do that, I just think rest is best when injured.

I have some stuff called pad guard that I've used in the past. You spray it on and it dries in about a minute. It sounds to me though that your dog's wound may be more severe than mine's was as she never needed stitches. The stuff might help it though you never know. The website for the manufacturer is www.trophyanimalcare.com

Back