Franklin County Pheasants Forever Youth Event

NC IA Tail Chaser

Franklin County Chapter of Pheasants Forever will be hosting a "No Child Left Indoors" event at the Franklin County Fair. The chapter brought in one of the State "No Child Left Indoors" trailers that has an assortment of compound bows, arrows, targets, air rifles and everything needed to host an event. Chapter volunteers will be staffing the event 5-6 hours a day from July 15-19. The chapter has several objectives:

1. Introduce youth to outdoor sports like archery and shooting
2. Introduce youth to gun safety (we require anyone participating to wear a blaze orange vest and safety glasses and our volunteers stress safe bow and gun handling)
3. Get the parents involved with the child because we believe that if we can get children involved in our youth events it will result in increased PF memberships
4. Register youth for our fall "Youth Pheasant Hunt"

I am so proud of our local PF Chapter leadership. We have really stepped up our youth activities in the past couple of years. I will plan to post some pictures from the fair event and report on some of the highlights.

Update: - July 15th 1st day of the County Fair Event. We staffed our event from 3-PM to 8:30 PM and we were busy almost always. We tried to have three people help at all times and could have used four. One person getting parents to sign waivers, one person helping kids with archery and one person assisting the kids with the air rifles. We had 64 kids the first day go through. We purchased paper targets for the kids to shoot the air rifles at and then let the kids keep the targets when done. Lots of happy kids and lots of great comments from the parents. We also used the opportunity to recruit kids for our Fall youth hunt, by giving them a paper that explained what we had planned and a registration form that they can mail in. I forgot my camera yesterday but I will plan to take it today and get some pictures to share with the forum.

Update:- July 16th second day of the event. We had 73 kids today go through our event. We had one mishap when our smallest crossbow broke. A little girl was using it and she pulled back on the bow and SNAP it sounded like a 22 rifle shot. She was not hurt and we were all so happy we made sure all the kids were safety glasses. It could have been a bad thing. It has been fun to work with the kids and visit with the parents. We actually had one parent give us a small donation she was so grateful for the attention we showed her children.

We ended up having 468 youth that took part in our fair event. It was a huge success for our club we have received several complements and had a half dozen adults ask for membership cards.

Our Fall youth hunt planning is underway and as it gets closer I will share information. If anyone wants any information about our youth activities please do not hesitate to contact me and I will share every idea, document or anything we have put together with you. We have wavier forms, registration forms, news paper ads, I think I have a copy of the radio add from last years youth hunt. I'll share everything.

Last edited:
Good Work

Yes, we really took a close look at where we want to be and realized that going after the youth is the best way to increase our numbers...Get the kids and you get the parents is what we are going for. We will see how that works but I think it is going to be a good strategy.

Back