Foxtail in Northeast South Dakota!

GWP14

Making my first trip out to South Dakota for 5 days over Thanksgiving weekend. I was advised to watch out for foxtail. Curious if anybody has ran into it out there or is it even in the northeastern part of the state?
Thanks

Making my first trip out to South Dakota for 5 days over Thanksgiving weekend. I was advised to watch out for foxtail. Curious if anybody has ran into it out there or is it even in the northeastern part of the state?
Thanks

Yes its here. Green foxtail, Yellow foxtail, Foxtail barley and Canada wildrye are all here but I have lived and hunted the Dakotas all my life. I have never had a problem or even cared about it until I read some posts on this forum. I think fences and if your hunting west river rattle snakes are a bigger threat to your dog than Foxtail barley or Canada Wildrye.

I've also been hunting for 45 some years and never had a problem with it..... Until last year. Made the conscious decision to take myshorthair into a 1/4 section that I knew had Canadian wild rye in it. Now, let me say also that it was430 I the afternoon,and hot out. Big mistake on my part. This was Saturday afternoon, and by Monday she was in severe respiratory distress and I thought I was going to lose her onTuesday morning. Lost her for the rest of the year. Never again..

Yes its here. Green foxtail, Yellow foxtail, Foxtail barley and Canada wildrye are all here but I have lived and hunted the Dakotas all my life. I have never had a problem or even cared about it until I read some posts on this forum. I think fences and if your hunting west river rattle snakes are a bigger threat to your dog than Foxtail barley or Canada Wildrye.

How much of a concern should I have for Rattle Snakes in late October out in the prairie lands west of the MO river? Do any of you use the Rattle snake vaccine

How much of a concern should I have for Rattle Snakes in late October out in the prairie lands west of the MO river? Do any of you use the Rattle snake vaccine

I pheasant hunted in Bennett county and looking back I have no idea how my dog or I didn't get bit. I don't think all areas were as bad as where I was at but if the sun is out the snakes were out. My buddies and I river-danced out of an area by Martin, SD. It should be a new X-Games sport. Trying to shoot roosters with snakes rattling was not easy! That was bad but it was also next to a prairie dog town. I would buy something for peace of mind to protect against snakes for dogs and yourself. Rattle snakes seam to be cool customers and will only strike if you step on them.

Ask your guide or landowner if they are bad. Like I said that area was scary bad.

I've also been hunting for 45 some years and never had a problem with it..... Until last year. Made the conscious decision to take myshorthair into a 1/4 section that I knew had Canadian wild rye in it. Now, let me say also that it was430 I the afternoon,and hot out. Big mistake on my part. This was Saturday afternoon, and by Monday she was in severe respiratory distress and I thought I was going to lose her onTuesday morning. Lost her for the rest of the year. Never again..

reddog,

Just curious as to what area of the state do you hunt or ran into this. I am fairly new to SD hunting (two years) and still trying to learn. I will definitely try to avoid areas with wild rye or foxtail now. thanks for the heads up! any other advice you can give on the subject?

The snake dance crew was way way west Thom not ur planned hunt areas... No concern unless its really really warm b4 & during ur trip then watch out in the prairie...

What about FPNG in Oct. Anybody have any encounters I assume NE by the breaks mite be bad if warm??? Or by any prairie dog towns... They eat it hem prairie dogs I was told...

Two years ago second week of regular season we shot 16 rattle snakes around prairie dog towns. The snakes den up in the town for winter and if it hits about 65 to 70F and sunny the snakes come out of the holes to sun. All except one we saw that week were around the dog town holes. Then in December we killed one crossing the lane on a hot day. This was all West River.

Last year we never hunted around the dog town and saw zero snakes.

The snake vaccine for dogs is a two part shot and needs to be done in advance. Does no good to go get it at local vet day before he hunt.

Good luck hunting!!

Indeed, Gettin Birdy...the maker says get the initial shot and then a booster a month after that for first time vaccination. Protection then becomes available 4-6 weeks after the booster shot. So it's getting late for anyone planning on the early part of the season.

Then a booster every year after at the start of "snake season" in your area. Protection supposedly effective for about six months.

Around here the initial + booster runs about $40-50.

reddog,

Just curious as to what area of the state do you hunt or ran into this. I am fairly new to SD hunting (two years) and still trying to learn. I will definitely try to avoid areas with wild rye or foxtail now. thanks for the heads up! any other advice you can give on the subject?

At, I was between Pierre and Chamberlain when it happened. Unfortunately, CWR is a popular plant in DOT and CRP plantings. It's everywhere, once you recognize it, and it's easily recognized.

To be honest,I think in my case,it was a "perfect storm" situation for my dog. It was 77 degrees going in. Opening weekend,There were lots of birds, and my dog was working very hard and breathing hard. It was hot and dry,and a combination of these conditions contributed to her ingesting/ inhaling an excessive amount of the awns . I don't think she has fully recovered and believe she never will. I guess I'll find out in a month or so . I'm done hunting early season..

At, I was between Pierre and Chamberlain when it happened. Unfortunately, CWR is a popular plant in DOT and CRP plantings. It's everywhere, once you recognize it, and it's easily recognized.

To be honest,I think in my case,it was a "perfect storm" situation for my dog. It was 77 degrees going in. Opening weekend,There were lots of birds, and my dog was working very hard and breathing hard. It was hot and dry,and a combination of these conditions contributed to her ingesting/ inhaling an excessive amount of the awns . I don't think she has fully recovered and believe she never will. I guess I'll find out in a month or so . I'm done hunting early season..

Thanks reddog. Now that I googled the plant image, I have seen this before. I'm guessing a frost helps the awns fall off the plant? anyway good luck with her!

Back