Force Fetch Tips.

Mil_Vet

I'm trying to Force Fetch my dog, I've tried every method and I still can't get him to reach out and grab the bumper. But when I get it in his mouth he will hold it for a long time. Any suggestions or other methods I should try. Thanks!:mad:

Tell us a little about your dog (breed, age, etc.), why you feel you need to FF him and what methods you have used.

In most all the FF or Trained Retrieve programs I've read getting the dog to reach out and grab the bumper is where the Force (ear pinch or toe hitch) comes into play. This is the tough part of any FF program. How did you handle this portion?

Yellow Lab 18months old. Tried the ear pinch and toe hitch not very successful on those methods. The reason I'm doing this is because sometimes he won't retrieve the dummy, or he'll pick it up and drop when coming back.

Have you looked in to "Smart Fetch" by Evan Graham? available in book or DVD's i believe.

That being said.... The trained retrieve (FF) is not one of the more pleasant things to train your dog to do as there is a fair amount of pressure involved and for that reason I farmed mine out to a pro.

Last edited:
Yellow Lab 18months old. Tried the ear pinch and toe hitch not very successful on those methods. The reason I'm doing this is because sometimes he won't retrieve the dummy, or he'll pick it up and drop when coming back.

If you are having a problem with your Lab not consistantly retrieving to hand a FF or Trained Retrieve program is no doubt what you need. But like birdshooter said, it's not real pleasant thing to do and you might be better off spending the money to have a pro do it. Generally $500 will get it done and if you get a good retrieving dog out of it for the next 10-12 years it's a small price to pay. If you have tried several metholds and not getting the desired results there is something you are missing in the training. I'd advise you to seek the help of a pro.

The 2 programs that I seem to run into the most are "The Trained Retrieve" by Jim & Phyllis Dobbs and the "Smart Fetch" by Evan Graham. Both are available in hard copy and DVD.

Good luck.

And don't move through them too quick. when you think you got it at each step, do more. If one step don't work go back. These meathods do work, it is what pros do. Many get the vid and skip portions etc. you will get mixed results if you do. Pros have done it more and know better how to react to situations. There is different table training for what you describe. But I would have to show someone, I know of no video for it.

Last edited:
my gsp wouldnt do this at the start of his training. after i figured it out, he will retrieve his fav toy or tennis ball... after awhile... he then started getting the dummy... and then he retrieved pheasants.

gotta get him started on something he WILL retrieve. even if you have to throw somethign that has a scent on it as a pheasant or treat. I have a red rubber bell, it was what i used to train him Whoa and retrieve.

he wont move (points) til it moves.. then he goes for it, after awhile, i will let him have it and theres a treat inside that bell holding and thats his reward for it.

S6300419.jpg

Have to disagree, what you want is a dog that will retrieve anything that you tell it to. I learned a trick from Bob West--forget who he learned it from, but I start with my own gloved hand. Progress through a pile of different bucks and bumpers as I go through it. Not one of them is a favorite toy and I actually take pains to separate anything they use for play time from their working bucks and bumpers.

A good pro is worth their fee, but I am not sure you have to pay to have them do the whole thing. Find one that will show you how to do it right if you want to continue it yourself.

What you need to do is start with it very close to the dog and just stretch that out a bit over time.

I find it's something that's hard to convey in a book. Best video I've seen is this one, from Mark Payton, does a real nice job: http://www.lcsupply.com/Product/Books-and-Videos/Reliable-Retreiving.html

toe hitch

Tell us a little about your dog (breed, age, etc.), why you feel you need to FF him and what methods you have used.

In most all the FF or Trained Retrieve programs I've read getting the dog to reach out and grab the bumper is where the Force (ear pinch or toe hitch) comes into play. This is the tough part of any FF program. How did you handle this portion?
thats how to do it zeb if the dog isnt getting it a few times getting his toe nails getting pulled on they learn pretty quick and dont forget.they know you mean business then! And who the boss is!I like iut because it is consistant

I am FF my lab pup right now. After having done the ear pinch on my last dog i decided to try a local trainers method. Her method is a bunch of small steps using a dumbell. Starting with just getting the dog to touch the dumbell with his nose. Second you get the dog to take the dumbell. Next you get the dog to hold the dumbell. Lastly with a pinch collar you apply pressure till the dog grabs the dumbell than instantly release pressure. I have simplified the process a lot but it has worked very well. I think this method is a lot slower but it is working. After the dumbell is mastered move to bumpers, than birds etc. I wish I could explain this better but I am very much a rookie dog trainer

PS the reason for the dumbell is to promote proper hold and control chomping.

Back