For all you that doubt the internet scouters...

Very interesting Spence, Nope Not Members. Internet scouters.

Ditto! But I will admit that Iam somewhat cyclic in my interest as well. Even on my state outdoor forums. Bird hunting is my love but I like deer and fishing etc. I like to get off the beaten path whenever I go anywhere, and am not really a typical tourist! Ihave been going to the same area in Nebraska for twenty something years and only missed when I did not have a dog that could hunt. She was still alive for five years on the disabled list and I could not hurt her feelings, so I did not go! I do enjoy watching my dog work!

I think a lot of those are probably scouting, but a number are also probably only interested in looking at pictures/reading stories during the actual hunting season. Other times of the year they are instead on ice fishing forums, lawn care forums, etc.

well considering there is no information anywhere on this forum about where exactly to go hunt but there is a wealth of information on how to hunt, what to wear, how to shoot, how to train dogs, what to use, how the hunt went, and other pheasant related hunting stuff, maybe there were 30,000 people just interested in pheasant hunting in general and possibly 654 of those were because you guys use the word "cock" so much ;)

well considering there is no information anywhere on this forum about where exactly to go hunt but there is a wealth of information on how to hunt, what to wear, how to shoot, how to train dogs, what to use, how the hunt went, and other pheasant related hunting stuff, maybe there were 30,000 people just interested in pheasant hunting in general and possibly 654 of those were because you guys use the word "cock" so much ;)

HA, HAeeeSHoot!!

Last edited:
:rolleyes:Yeah your right... there is no info on here. From reading posts on here you can pretty much figure a round about area as to where most people on here hunt. Exact field? no. But i promise you it will increase traffic in Certin Counties, and honestly I don't need a bajillion other hunters coming out where I hunt hitting every walk-in hard, and trespassing here and there pissing off the farmers and landowners.

So you guys can take it how you'd like. There's a reason why some of us don't post ANYTHING about our locations.

FCS, basically this report says that in the Month of September, there were 32,000 visitors to this forum. This is separate vistors, not how many views it had. Yes of course if you log in from work, home, phone it will count as 3 visitors. But either way there aren't near enough people on this forum even if every one of them is logging in from 5 different places to add up to 30,000 people.

I believe it. Many of you may find this ridiculous, but I hear posts, facts, and info about pheasants and habitat echoed at outdoor expos I've worked this past year for our Pheasants Forever chapter-----Information I won't hear from people 2 years ago.

People are reading and learning from this forum.;)

One example and quick story; I was working an expo in Sept. There was a pheasant breeder there. I asked if they sell Bianchi (afghan white wing) pheasants. With a confused look on her face she replied "no, but I've had a lot of people ask if we do."

I couldn't help but laugh inside. I have no doubt that was do to all the Bianchi pheasant talk on this site.

FCSpringer, I have the same reservations about sharing spots. But dang it, I already know that a million people are scouring my favorite spots and I want somebody to pull up to a parking spot and say ``Daisybuck?'' and go on a great hunt.

I, or better said, my dogs are better than that. They are GOING to find me the birds and the birds are either going to be there or not.

For you lurkers out there, and I have been one, join up and own the experience. The DNR publishes a list of WMAs and that is all I hunt. you want to know where I am going? Go there. Beat me to ``your'' rooster. (Hello Brown County? I am going there Wednesday)

And for those who have the private land what are you worried about? Nobody going there anyway.

Killing a bird for dinner is nice but exploring, visiting these nice towns and having a terrific (if unhealthy) breakfast, getting into the grass and other cover? That's what it means to me.

It's not ``my'' rooster. It's not ``your'' rooster. He's got his own thing to do. If we're good we'll get him.

Sorry, off my soapbox.:eek:

And for those who have the private land what are you worried about? Nobody going there anyway.

My issue with this is the idiots that come out and plow through all the walk-in and then tresspass where they are pushing birds, and get caught jumping into a ditch on private property. Which in turn pisses off the farmers and landowners. I've had some pretty extensive talks with a few landowners that used to have some of their land in Walk-in and don't now because of the idiots. I've also been denied access to places that i've hunted for a few years because of the other idiots.

So as far as I'm concerned the less people the better, even if they don't have access to the same private land that I do.

I'm not trying to say its "my" land or "My" birds, so if someone puts in the time and miles to find birds and ends up in the same place I am, good on them. They deserve it, but to the ones who just hop on the internet and read of a good report and pack up and head there that weekend and trash the place, better you just stayed home.

Evidently I cannot edit my comment. No offense. FCSpringer. You were not the intended target of these remarks. I have read much of what you have written and hope this does not diminish your regard for me (if any) should we land at the same spot someday. :)

Everybody get along. You are entitled to the WMAs and WPAs just like me and that is where I am hunting. I hope sincerely to meet some of you folks out there and if you get the roosties, good on you. I will be out Wednesday, if anybody has to get to their ``secret WMA spots'' before me, Buck and Daisy.

I would like to think those on this forum are confident enough in their own methods, dogs and firearms that they don't need outside help. Does anyone believe that mentioning ``X WMA'' is hotter than heck is going to make a difference?

Lurkers: Get in your car/truck. Bring your dog/s. Go. Into. The. Cover. Do your own work. Just like everybody else. MOST OF US ARE DOING THE SAME THING.

Man, I keep ending up on this soapbox.

I have used this forum to keep my hunting spirit alive. This is not a source for GPS coordinates for birds. It is called hunting. Do it.

Some could be marketers too. With no disrespect, the advertisers here want the traffic and some may be looking at the ads????

some of you are far to NAIVE....

Last edited:
Fail.... lol I swear i'm gonna have to swing through Basehor one night just to come knock on your door at 3 am. :D

My visits to the pheasant hunting sites, will drop of significanly in late December, about the time my visits to my ice fishing forums ramp up... up until may, when my visits to the ice fishing forums drop off, and the visits to my dirt track racing forums ramp up until October or so, when I start peeking at the hunting sites.

It's a viscious cycle, I tell ya...

The only one I share spots with anymore, is the racing sites. Go here, or dont go there.

Dang, there's that soapbox again. We cannot simultaneously call for expansion of hunting and the addition of hunters and squirrel away our favorite spots. Everybody has the same damn maps. New guys, lurkers, get out there. It is what I did and what everybody else who didn't get born into this deal did.

Public roosters taste better...

And for those who think I am some kind of naive blue-sky think-the-best-of-everybody guy. Well you're right. I think the best of everybody until proven otherwise. Been that way nigh onto 43 years and plan to continue to do so.
:D

Fail.... lol I swear i'm gonna have to swing through Basehor one night just to come knock on your door at 3 am. :D

Bring your dog and gun and i'll fill a thermos. You can keep me blindfolded till we get to the double secret spot.:p

Back