Flushing survey

Spoke to soon.

Due to more snow, the Turbotville wild pheasant flushing surveys scheduled for Sunday Feb 16 are CANCELLED.
Never fear, we will reschedule as soon as we can find the ground again.

The Turbotville wild pheasant flushing surveys scheduled for Saturday Feb 22 are CANCELLED.
will try to re-schedule for early March as soon as the fields are accessible again. Stay tuned.

Thanks for the update! Dugan and I need to get out somewhere though. :(

I don't think there will be any more flushing surveys this year. Ground conditions were tough and now they are working on bringing in some birds from out west. Good to know more birds are being released but I think the numbers will be low. I did hear that the Franklin County WPRA is set to get some birds.

At this point I would be all for letting the birds be. It's been a long tough winter.

Below is an email about the WPRA's. I think the good news outweighs the not so good news.

First, the not so good news...

We will not be able to reschedule our wild pheasant flushing surveys this year. Ground conditions are still problematic, and with pre-breeding season dispersal, any data we might get at this point could be inaccurate. We?ll use sex ratio data from previous years for hen density calculations in areas not surveyed this year. It is because of you that we have all the data from previous years, so once again, thank you for all your help!! And thanks to all of you who signed up to help again this year. We had plenty of people and dogs ready to go, even though the weather repeatedly interfered. We can all look forward to next year?s surveys. J

The Really Good News!

Pheasants Forever members were able to find a trapping location out west this year at almost the last minute. Jesse Putnam and Megan Gerber travelled west on short notice and were able to trap 49 hens and 9 roosters in a very short period of time. Megan Rake, Ray Grater and Brandon Black also rallied to trap a few PA roosters in the Turbotville area to help boost the rooster numbers. On Sunday, March 9, just before dawn, the wild pheasants were released in the Franklin County Wild Peasant Recovery Area. This is the first wild pheasant release for this wild pheasant recovery area. We now have 4 active Wild Pheasant Recovery Areas on the ground in PA.

Thanks to everyone in the great partnership between PGC and PF who worked hard to make many good things happen in a very short period of time!

And, as always, Thanks for all your help and support!

Colleen

Colleen DeLong

Wildlife Biologist

Pennsylvania Game Commission

570-380-0833

cdelong@pa.gov

The bad news to me is good news, I think it was getting to late for the surveys after the winter we are having.

Who would of thought a few years ago, that you could have an IN STATE trap-n-transfer of WILD pheasants.:cheers:

With those low numbers of wild birds available.... Wild Captive Breeding Program????

Thanks for sharing the update. This might be a dumb question but am I the only one surprised that it is that tough to find wild birds to trap. I realize there are many hoops and such to jump through. I just figured it wouldn't be that hard but from the tone of the email it sounds like there was the chance there were not going to be any available. I am not knocking the PGC because they are doing a great job from what I can see. Just surprised is all.

Matt,

It's not a dumb question, when we are talking about trapping birds from the Mid-West, it's finding a location to trap, not so much the birds to trap. Such as an Indian Reservation etc., to eliminate some of the "red tape".
That's why it's so exciting to see some of the birds now being trapped in Pa. As the Pa. population continues to grow I would expect to see more of that.

Just to add to what FLDBRED posted- After getting permission to trap pheasants the weather needs to cooperate. In order to trap a good number of birds there needs to be some cold and snow to bunch the birds up. They want to trap them and bring them back to PA as fast as possible.

I also think some of the states Game and Fish Commissions don't want to be seen as giving birds away when their numbers are decreasing. A few hundred birds won't make a big difference to them but it may look bad.

Hey Brian, thanks for the info, loved watching the video! I haven't been to the Franklin WPRA....I hope the habitat there meets the birds needs.

Another breath of fresh air coming out of PA:thumbsup:. Thanks for posting the video:10sign:. Best of luck!!!

was this survey organized previous years? I mean, will it be available(or some kind of it) in 2020? When it comes to online surveys, I definitely remember https://yourmoneygeek.com/, this site provides the bet available trustworthy companies offering taking online surveys for money. I have worked for Survey2Cash when I was younger and less experienced. I needed money and this site literally saved me.

Last edited:
Back