Flushing Survey Archives!

Once a WPRA is established and receives wild birds flushing surveys are done to monitor the population. Anyone can volunteer and it is surely a great day afield!
I am pretty sure that this years surveys are done but there is always next year!

Here are a couple pictures I took a couple years back while at the Central Susquehanna Survey that I thought I would share!

100_0029.jpg

100_0032.jpg

100_0033.jpg

100_0036.jpg

This is Barney, the farmers dog who decided to get in on the action!
100_0037.jpg

100_0038.jpg

Very Nice Hollow, but make sure you don't post pictures or post about the flushing surveys next year right before they happen. You might tempt me enough to make the trek out there just to have a fun day afield.
Seriously, I'll have to keep informed and collect up some buddies for a road trip next year!!

The more people to come out an help the better! There are some areas that don't get flushed because there is only so many of us!

Those flushing surveys are a great experience! A lot of good people working towards the same goal!

I helped out on some of the flushing surveys the past two years and have enjoyed myself. Its the only way I can say my dogs have been on wild pheasants. I look forward to seeing how things go in the new WPRA in Franklin county since that is closer to me.

Yep...Hollow might get bored,he talks to me every day...he's my son! LOL

I helped out on some of the flushing surveys the past two years and have enjoyed myself. Its the only way I can say my dogs have been on wild pheasants. I look forward to seeing how things go in the new WPRA in Franklin county since that is closer to me.

I haven't been down that way for some time.How does the habitat look in the area of the WPRA ?

I had better watch-out then. If I pick on one, I'll get it back from two!!
I'll try to be on my best behavior.

I haven't been down that way for some time.How does the habitat look in the area of the WPRA ?

I have not checked out the area much but I hope to in the future. Franklin county is west of me and it will be the closest one to me. I have heard that PF in that area has done a lot of work on habitat.

I have not checked out the area much but I hope to in the future. Franklin county is west of me and it will be the closest one to me. I have heard that PF in that area has done a lot of work on habitat.

I have to take a drive out that way! I am interested in seeing what the cover looks like!

Here is a few pictures from the flushing survey on Jan 15, 2012!

Formulating the plan!
surveyplan.jpg

This is what the habitat looked like on the farm we were working!
survey.jpg

Tried to get a picture of Dugan in action!
dugansurvey.jpg

It was bitter cold, with very stong winds,but I think the total was 22 birds, not bad cosidering.

It was in real good shape John, now all we need is a good spring and I think these birds are really going to take off, they haven't had a break since this program started, yet they have been holding their own.

We missed you and your boys!

Dan

Helped out today (Feb. 26) in Turbottville area. Our group worked a farm of about 200 acres with a large section of switch grass. We flushed 3 roosters for the day. It was a nice day to be out.

Well I knew it would happen sooner or later, after attending most of these surveys over the years we finally got skunked! Dugan did get hot on bird scent a couple of times but those birds had thier track shoes on!

Nice to meet you in person Brian!

Back