Flagging in the field

Bob Peters

Over opener I was hunting in some pretty open grass a few times, areas where "it all looks the same." I was wondering if anyone has an idea about something to use to strap on some bluestem or other grass to mark a drop zone? Yes, I try to get them dead in the air, but the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry (credit Scottish poet Robert Burns). I used to use my hat, but now sometimes I've got a gopro on it, so I'd loose footage, and also it's too heavy and wilts the grass over. I have a blaze orange collapsible dog bowl that I used last week, but heck, I couldn't find it again after I dropped it at the fall! I did stumble onto it a day later hunting the same area 😂. I will try to shoot better, but in the meantime any suggestions will help. Solo hunting with a dog or dogs I do feel like marking the spot he dropped at helps in the recovery mission.

I always wear an orange bandana (hankerchief) around my neck. I lay that or tie it to mark my down bird. Will use my hat to, but believe or not I lost one so stopped using my hat.

Check Tractor Supply for "Allen Reflective Trail Markers".

In the past, I carried a blaze orange spring loaded clothes pin that had about 1.5 feet of blaze streamer on it. Very light when attaching to the grasses.

I don't remember where they came from and eventually I lost or misplace the 2 or 3 I had. They were handy when used.

I have untrained Labradors so I don't bother doing anything :). Honestly I have never thought about it but a few inches of surveyor's ribbon would work great tied to weed or what ever. I do believe bio degradable ribbon is available too.

In deep cover, I use my blaze billed cap, I'll try to pull a handful of grass through the adjustment band to keep it off the ground, so I can find it easily. In shorter grass, less than waist high, it isn't normally an issue. I can't wait to start marking downed birds again! Saturday is Iowa's opener!

That's interesting. I thought just about every state required the use of at least one article of blaze orange. But maybe not. I haven't confirmed that.

For pheasant hunting, SD does not. But even though I may very briefly hunt a corner of land close to an interstate about once a year, I ALWAYS wear a blaze orange hat when I hunt. I figure if I can see an orange speck 1/2 mile away, so can other people & they'll know I'm there.

I've started using OnX and marking when I get to where the bird went down. So far it has helped. Comes in handy if you don't initially find the bird to circle down wind and know where your "spot" is.

Back