First Aid

On Sunday I went to a first aid class for hunting dogs and found it very informative. It is one of those things as a weekend hunter I probably neglect and that is the state of my dog. If they are not limping or bleeding they are fine. I got some good information on field nutrition (if they are startign to fade after a day or two of hunting, it may be nutrition and not just tired). Good info on over heating, allegies, bug/spider bits, impaled objects, grasses/seeds and snake bits. What I wanted to do and was able to was to work hands on with my dog, anestitizing her eye and then working around her lids and memebranes for foreign objects. Also got hands on in bandageing paws, legs and stapeling wounds (chicken thighs). Also the nice thing about the class was the vet clinic also filled out my first aid kit with med's (antibiotics, eye ointments, pain pills). Of course I hope not to use it but I am more informed on what to look for and more capable in tending to my dog in the field.

Where did you take this? I wonder if there are anymore being offered? I would be willing to take one. I have a dog first aid kit and I have learned under some pro gun dog trainers about certain things, however I woul dbe willing to take a class. Thanks for sharing,

Greg

Where did you take this? I wonder if there are anymore being offered? I would be willing to take one. I have a dog first aid kit and I have learned under some pro gun dog trainers about certain things, however I woul dbe willing to take a class. Thanks for sharing,

Greg

+1. I am interested as well. I have had my fair share of dog injuries in the field. We had a rattlesnake bite last year in Nebraska :eek:. I wish no dog or anybody to have to go through that.

This one was put on by the Deer Creek Animal Hospital, Littleton CO. I believe this was their second one, the first was last year. I am not sure if they will put on any more this year. The vets are all hunters so they had real field storys and photos.

This one was put on by the Deer Creek Animal Hospital, Littleton CO. I believe this was their second one, the first was last year. I am not sure if they will put on any more this year. The vets are all hunters so they had real field storys and photos.

Thanks for the info....I will check and see.

Greg

First Aid Clinic

Just got word that Valhalla Kennels and Hunt Club and Elizabeth Animal Hospital plan on hosting a sporting dog first aid clinic. I am not sure of the dates but check Valhalla Kennels and Hunt clubs web-site or contact them by the old fashion way, phone. They are located 2 miles south of Bennet CO, off I-70.

My vet here in co. springs is a hunter, I think I might see him tomorrow out at Izaak Walton, id so I will ask him if he might be interested in giving a class, no promises but will see.

I would encourage everyone to take a field first aid class.

Just came back from Wisdom, MT for a week of training and NAVHDA NA test for the pup Blitz - brought the big blue guy, Dakota, along for training as well.

We were 30 min out of cell phone range and 70 miles from the nearest vet in Butte, MT. I was helping Blitz over a ladder that went over a tall barbed wire fence paralleling the river. Dakota decided to jump the fence. I looked back and saw him caught in the fence by has back legs, hanging there, head pointed down. I was able to get to him quickly and he was very calm ... not struggling to get free. I lifted up his front end, freed his legs, took him to the truck. Inspected belly and underside ... puncture wound to the chest, then noticed that he was standing in a lot of blood. Front foot had been punctured by the barbed wire fence. Stopped the bleeding and drove the 70 miles into Butte for stitches, and staples. He is fine now, antibiotic and Rimadyl along with light duty for 2 weeks.

Anyhow, just a reminder that field first aid is good to know. We are all in those places from time to time ... out of cell range, and an hour or more away from the nearest vet.

Glad to hear it wasn't a bad accident. One of the best things I learned at the clinic was to know where is the nearest vet is, to where I am hunting. I don't know why I never look into that but I will now. Hope Dakota heals quickly as we are about to start.

Glad to hear it wasn't a bad accident. One of the best things I learned at the clinic was to know where is the nearest vet is, to where I am hunting. I don't know why I never look into that but I will now. Hope Dakota heals quickly as we are about to start.

Thanks sdt - he is on the road to recovery. I took him to the local vet today and he is doing great, no signs of infection, sutures are still in place, staples are good to go as well. He has been a pain in the backside since he isn't getting much exercise and is obviously feeling fine. ;)

Excellent advice - know the location of the nearest vet.

As soon as we were in cellular range, I called a "dog friend" in Montana, who called her vet, who recommended a vet in Butte.

Damn barbed wire :mad:

Last year as we were driving out to SW Kansas. We stopped at a rest stop and aired the dogs. My young yellow lab female, Daisy, was wilder than a march hare. Anyhow, it was dark and she ran into the extremely sharp barbed wire fencing that borders the rest stop propery from private. I didn't hear a whimper or anything. We start to load the dogs up and I notice something wet (the lighting was terrible, those faint, dimly lit road lights) I touched it and was like Oh crap, blood. I checked everyone and sure as you know what, she had punctures on her front legs. I got my first aid kit out, rinsed them off, they didn't look or feel to deep, badged them the best I could and we drove to Wally world (it was nearing midnight). Got some more stuff, one thing I learned from my SABC/first aid in the air Force, once you apply a dressing, never take it off because you will effect the clotting process. Looked up the nearest vet, called the emergency number. Planned on taking her in, got to the motel. Checked her again, bleeding had stopped. Didn't take her to the vet. Once the bleeding stopped I put new dressing and badges on (put some triple antibiotic on there, clean it out real good)....kept her in the truck the first day. She hunted fine the rest of the time.

Needless to say I won't be airing the dogs near barbed wire at night. I recommend that everyone have a first aid kit for yourself and your four legged hunting partner.

Greg

Back