Filson mesh game bag

Madison COunty

Does anyone use the Filson mesh game bag? I just ordered one and was wondering how they are, I have there tin cloth hunting cap and like it very much.I was looking for something lighter for hunting in warmer weather.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Now I just ordered the Orvis one. The reviews on that site said that the Filson one isn't lined so the game bag bleeds through on your clothes and the Orvis one has a rear pocket on back to carry things. Also the Orvis one does not have any metal buckles on the front.

Anyone have the Orvis waxed cotton strap vest?

Last edited:
I've got the Orvis vest. Mines, 10-12 years old and I still like it. The metal inside the snap-closed pocket have worn through the corners and scratched a stock or two... This summer I had a alteration shop as leather patches over those corners and a chest buckle to help keep the straps on my shoulders.

It's leaked through a time or two but I'm not sure any vest would have stopped the leaking. Close head shots...

I think I'm going to like the Orvis one better because of the front clip and the rear pocket. The wing works vest sounds like a good one but he is out right now.:eek:

I wonder if the wing works guy just makes them all himself or if he has employees that do. You would think if the demand was high he would expand the business and make a lot more. I

Are you referring to this?

http://www.filson.com/men/vests/mesh-game-bag-vest-16022.html#150

If so I have it, and have used it for the past two years.

yJLggf2.jpg

Its an "ok" vest. Given the opportunity of buying it again I wouldn't. Its too expensive for what it is, water bottles fall out of the pockets constantly. And the game bag is hard to get stuff into unless you have someone else do it. I will say though that its light, and works very well in hot weather. Beyond that I don't have much good to say about it. I have added two D rings to the shoulder straps to attached electronics.

That's the one I was talking about Spotdog. I tried it on today after it came in the mail and I'm not sure that I like the buckle on the front.

I do however like the idea of a strap vest for warm weather hunting!

That's the one I was talking about Spotdog. I tried it on today after it came in the mail and I'm not sure that I like the buckle on the front.

I do however like the idea of a strap vest for warm weather hunting!
I didn't like the buckle at first either but now I prefer it to a zipper or buttons. Also it's cut huge so I had to make my own hole at the smallest part possible and it's still large with just a shirt on.

Back