fathers

dakota hunting

how do you get your dad to help you with the dog training. After a week of work and them my dad doing his fun thing my father is "to tired" to go out and plant a few chuckers and then shoot them with me one day.

What do you guys do to wake up your dads

:D I don't, he does not share my passion as I do not like to coyote hunt as much as him. You may be better off with a training group or a couple friends that you can get togeather with that enjoy it as much as you. Or offer a trade for him, something you will do for him he needs help with. That would be nice to have family enjoying the same thing. I am lucky we have a group of 6 or so here to train with. Good luck

I have the opposite problem - I am a father who has never figured out how to get either of my sons to help with the dog training (nor any of my other hunting buddies either for that matter)...In my experience, ONLY a fellow bird-dog lover has any interest in the tedious work of dog training. You would be much better off focusing on finding a couple guys who share your passion to get together & trade-off helping with each others dogs!...After all is said & done, I'm on my 4th dog now over the last 20 yrs & I still as always wind up doing 90% of the training ALONE (but it's a labor of love that pays off well come hunting season)! Good luck!!!

:(I'm a dad that can't get his kids to go hunting. I tried to get them interested back when there were a lot of birds around and I had good dogs. At that time all they wanted to do ia play FB and BB with their buddies. Then they grew up and have wives and a kid of their own so they don't have much time.
It kind of reminds me of that Jim Croche (sic) song "Cats in the Cradle".
I wish I would have spent more time with them then so they would spend more time with me now!:(:(

dakota hunter does he like any hunting? about the only thing i will not do with my 3 boys is play on xbox ,playstation or whatever it is. like i've said before my 3 boys got interested in hunting at different times with the same exposure given to all 3 of them. maybe start with something else to get himt interested in hunting that will lead to him helping you with the dog. sometimes i don't realize how lucky i am with my 3 boys they all now love to hunt anything anywhere anytime the only bad thing is supporting 4 people hunting in one house gets expensive:eek: for christmas bought all 3 lifetime hunting license but i do realize it won't be long and they will be grown and gone and hope the time we have spent in the field will keep us close forever and always hunting something somewhere , i don't care if i had to get a second job to support our hunting i would do it because the times in the field are priceless!!

I wish my Dad would share the passion I have for bird hunting but it's just isn't there. He loves to deer hunt, but birds do nothing for him. He enjoys eating them, just not hunting them. Fishing is pretty much the same thing, we live close to the Saginaw bay and do alot of walleye fishing there. My dad came with me one time on the boat and that was enough for him. He doesn't care for the big water, which is kinda odd considering he grew up in Nova Scotia and my grandfather was a fisherman. Just not his thing.

My two boys love to bird hunt, both pheasants and ducks. Neither one is crazy about deer hunting, but then again, I can take it or leave it. As long as they enjoy the outdoors it's fine with me. My daughter hasn't shot any game animal but when her college schedule will allow it, she would like to come with us to South Dakota to hunt pheasants. We all enjoy fishing walleyes and steelhead, so it's not just hunting that we do together.

I think it may be easier getting our kids to try something new than our fathers. At least in my case, he's pretty much set in his ways and even though when I ask him to try something, it doesn't surprise me when he wont.

Scott

I am the father of 2 boy's they are both over 40 years of age. I am for ever helping them with their pet projects. But to get them to help is a 50/50 type affair. Sometimes yes and right away. Then again a week from Sunday, only they don't say which Sunday. When it comes to hunting, one loves big game more than birds and the other is birds first. They both have dogs so I do get to have some time in the field with both of them........Bob

I have girls 24 and 20. Neither tried hunting, but both liked the bird dogs. I was their high school softball coach, so I got to spend plenty of time with them. I can't wait for some grand sons.

:(I'm a dad that can't get his kids to go hunting. I tried to get them interested back when there were a lot of birds around and I had good dogs. At that time all they wanted to do ia play FB and BB with their buddies. Then they grew up and have wives and a kid of their own so they don't have much time.
It kind of reminds me of that Jim Croche (sic) song "Cats in the Cradle".
I wish I would have spent more time with them then so they would spend more time with me now!:(:(

Great song...glad you mentioned it...

I'm blessed my dad brought my brother and I up outdoors hunting, camping and fishing so now that I am all grown up :) we get together come opening season and have a go at it. My little brother and i both just got our first pointers so we are kind of having an unspoken of competition to see who's dog does the best next season. I figure i will have the better dog because of all the support and advice I get from being on here my little secret!! Anyways share something else with your dad we aren't promised forever.

My twentysomething sons & I still spend plenty of time together in the outdoors - an annual highly-anticipated-by-all weeklong elk or deer hunt together, lots of summer hiking and camping & winter skiing/snowboarding, target/range shooting, ect. - occasionally even a bird hunt or fishing trip together (though wingshooting or fishing are no longer the top of either one of their totem poles like they are for me)...This does not take into account all of the non-hunting or non-outdoor pursuits we do together (my sons & I are very close).

I also have MANY other hunting buddies collected throughout my 50 yrs on this earth, BUT as I have already posted earlier NONE of these people (family or friend) has even the slightest inkling of either passion or patience necessary to truly help-out even occasionally with dog-training...I still rely on my fellow bird-dog aficionados/"nuts" for that - you know the type, the kind of guys who could even if necessary be perfectly-happy & fully-satisfied just working the dog & letting somebody else do most of the shooting! THIS is the only kind of person who will ever be of any CONSISTENT help in tedious & repetitive dog training issues!

Personally, I get a lot of pleasure, relaxation & stress-relief from a few minutes to an hour spent dog-training before or after work even during the off-season! Plain & simple, a person has to have some kind of love for dogs & training or they won't do it or even volunteer to help-out much with it period (I have the same total lack of gusto for golf, basketball & shopping - & no amount of cajoling or money on earth could put my heart in it)!!! :)

My two cents: Let everybody be who they are & share in the overlap every chance you can! I taught my sons to hunt, fish, hike, camp, canoe, play baseball, ect., ect. alongside me with many great memories for all...But a word to the wise - turnabout's fair play when it comes to kids/parents & don't forget to drop your own agenda sometimes & do whatever THE OTHER PERSON wants to do if you wanna be really close to them & not someday instead tearfully singing 'Cat's In The Cradle'!

Back