Fast dog

dukhnter7

Sometimes it pays to have a fast dog!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqEFd2HaolI

This was at Steel Fork Pheasants. They have a field that is cut in crop rows. I like to use this field when I am by myself and want to work the dog on specific drills instead of walking a big field. The birds tend to sit well in the rows. Jack was not on his A game this day but it was a fun retrieve! :cheers:

Awesome! Thanks for posting the video ... I love watching videos and looking at pictures from hunts.

:cheers:

I take a lot of video. It helps me figure out what I can do better with the dog and why I missed a shot. Basically lets me Monday morning quarterback a hunt.

I take a lot of video. It helps me figure out what I can do better with the dog and why I missed a shot. Basically lets me Monday morning quarterback a hunt.

I like doing the same thing ... need to get a new GoPro case ... one of the boys chewed up the plastic housing on mine a couple of months ago. Grrr. ;-)

Thanks for sharing those!

In reference to the first video. That is great practice for a young dog! Helps to develop drive in them. But as a guide that was a killer for my dogs! Sometimes we would have to shoot 60 birds in a morning hunt and every one they chased down like that just wore them out all the quicker. I gave many shooting lessons on shooting the front third of the bird not the pretty back half. I wish I had a dollar for every time some guy says, "I hammered that bird" as I watched it hit the ground feet first.

Cool video's keep em coming!

" I wish I had a dollar for every time some guy says, "I hammered that bird" as I watched it hit the ground feet first."

Me too, Pheasants are incredibly tough birds.

Loved the videos! Can't watch that without smiling.

And, IMO, you couldn't script a better scenario for a young dog's development. I've always felt like a good chase drives their desire up a notch, gets them running harder to the retrieve (cuz they realize the bird may not still be there if they don't), and, instills a little bit more wisdom on how to track/catch a very elusive adversary.

I'd be tickled pink with the result if that was my dog.

Thanks for posting!

Sometimes I think they like chasing wounded birds more than they like finding them. That's a good pup right there... you need to get him on the race track and earn some money.

My pup is out of Red Label Kennels, Scott Olson in South Dakota.
RLK's Eye of the Tiger "Rock" GMPR X RLK's Liberty "Belle" CPR

Dave and I train together and both of our dogs have had some training from Julie Knutson at Gun-Club Labs along with a ton of support from Rocky Mountain Pointing Lab assoc.

Back