Fall Hunt

Hello,

I am thinking about heading to Kansas this fall instead of our yearly trip to South Dakota. Looking to do a public lands hunt for hopefully Pheasants and Quail, I've been looking up as much info as I can and I'm thinking the central portion of the state give us the best opportunity for both. Anyone have any suggestion? I'm not looking for anyone spots just maybe a point in the right direction. Thanks again feel free to PM

Andrew

Salina is a good size town with places to stay and eat. Good area to base out of. It will take you a couple of years to figure out the area , best of luck!! Have KDWP send you a walk in access map.

Look at the Kdwpt upland forecast mid September , be willing to put down some boot leather. Skip opening weekend . Look into Nebraska to they have an comprehensive plan to increase upland numbers . The habitat / walk in areas are better managed than I have seen here in Kansas . I think the new Plan is Called the Brogren Plan .

Are you a member of Pheasants Forever ?

We booked a house in the North Central area. Thanks to everyone that helped out with info and suggestions! Cant wait til November!!!

Well our trip is 18 days away! We are all getting pretty excited. We are staying near Russel, KS. Hows the crop harvest in that area? Anyone seeing good bird numbers? I read over the Bird Forecast and it seems it may be a decent year in that area. Thanks again for anyone who helped out with some info or gave recommendations!

I find the actual survey to be much more informative than the "forecast". The survey shows the results on a route-by-route basis, and shows a map of the state that is color-coded with estimated bird densities. But at the end of the day localized, field-specific habitat conditions are far more important than survey routes. The survey just points us to general areas.

http://ksoutdoors.com/Services/Research-Publications

Look at the Kdwpt upland forecast mid September , be willing to put down some boot leather. Skip opening weekend . Look into Nebraska to they have an comprehensive plan to increase upland numbers . The habitat / walk in areas are better managed than I have seen here in Kansas . I think the new Plan is Called the Brogren Plan .

Are you a member of Pheasants Forever ?

I am too and I encourage eveyone to join, what did this have to do with your response?
what if his answer had been "no?"
Just curious...

Back