Fall Burn

cyclonenation10

We have generally always defaulted to burning in the Spring as it seems like that was conventionally the way to do it. However, I've recently become more intrigued with the idea of prescribed burning in the fall, for a couple of reasons.

1) Supposed to be more beneficial to forbes than grasses (our current mixes are largely dominated by big blue). Also supposed to be more effective setting back tree growth.

2) Nesting - I would think a fall burn would give the CRP more time to potentially serve as nesting cover compared to a spring burn.

At our property, I am not concerned about losing some habitat over the winter as winter cover is one thing we seem to have plenty of. The nesting component is probably the most limiting factor, so anything I can do to limit the short-term negative impacts nesting, the better.

At a minimum, I would expect that burning portions of a field in the Spring and portions in the Fall would also be beneficial from an overall diversity standpoint as well.

My question is, what time of year is best for fall burns? I am located in Eastern Iowa. When can I expect to be able to burn our CRP ? October?

I think your mid-contract management activities just can't be between May 15th and Aug 1st. I like the spring burns so as to not lose the fall/winter cover (hunting and bird roosting). When the hen builds a nest it seems to almost always have a canopy of last years grass over the top of it, the spring (and likely fall) burning eliminates that. Also, depending on the mix and density of the grasses, that first year after a burn, might not have enough cover to hold birds when you try to hunt it. When ours came due for the mid-contract activity, we burned a third of it in 3 consecutive years. I talked with a fella at the NCRS and he didn't share the same concern about losing the nesting cover. He felt that the nests that would happen, would have better survival rates in that burned off ground...enough to off-set the possible limited or late nesting in those burned-off acres. We currently have a large bird population and I would not want to force all the nesting into the road ditches, neighboring waterways/terraces or to think they had a choice to "wait" until the new grass was tall enough to accommodate successful nesting. I know the burned off ground is the best place for the chicks, but they can survive in habitat with a deep understory, but just not as well. If I were to fall burn, I think I would want to to do it early, to maybe get some understory back, but maybe that is semi-defeating the some of the reasons for doing it. Ultimately, it might not make much difference, spring, fall, all or partial burns...the biggest thing is that you have created habitat!

I think your mid-contract management activities just can't be between May 15th and Aug 1st. I like the spring burns so as to not lose the fall/winter cover (hunting and bird roosting). When the hen builds a nest it seems to almost always have a canopy of last years grass over the top of it, the spring (and likely fall) burning eliminates that. Also, depending on the mix and density of the grasses, that first year after a burn, might not have enough cover to hold birds when you try to hunt it. When ours came due for the mid-contract activity, we burned a third of it in 3 consecutive years. I talked with a fella at the NCRS and he didn't share the same concern about losing the nesting cover. He felt that the nests that would happen, would have better survival rates in that burned off ground...enough to off-set the possible limited or late nesting in those burned-off acres. We currently have a large bird population and I would not want to force all the nesting into the road ditches, neighboring waterways/terraces or to think they had a choice to "wait" until the new grass was tall enough to accommodate successful nesting. I know the burned off ground is the best place for the chicks, but they can survive in habitat with a deep understory, but just not as well. If I were to fall burn, I think I would want to to do it early, to maybe get some understory back, but maybe that is semi-defeating the some of the reasons for doing it. Ultimately, it might not make much difference, spring, fall, all or partial burns...the biggest thing is that you have created habitat!
That makes sense. I think I would target a late August type burn if possible to try and get some growth back, but I tend to agree with your point that most nests are in "old growth" that probably wouldn't have time to grow back in that short window during the fall.

I talked to the manager on Black Kettle Wildlife Area a few years back about this very topic. They had been doing some research with collared birds and he indicated that the quail nested in the black at the same rate as the unburned. I think the important thing to remember is that quail are a fire dependent species. As for pheasants, there will be far less nesting in the black, if any. However, with NWSG being largely fire dependent, the ecosystem will be much more healthy with fire. Here is a link you might benefit from on combining fire with grazing to manage NWSG. (https://extension.okstate.edu/fact-...ire-and-grazing-to-promote-heterogeneity.html). On CRP you won't have the grazing, but fire is still important for ecosystem health. Where our gamebirds are dependent on having both nesting and brood-rearing habitat, these summer or fall burns will be important in making sure we provide both. The late burns will give the forbs some room to express themselves. A side benefit is that they will also be browse for deer as well.

I have seen KBG get hit pretty hard if we have an open winter after a hard fall graze or burn. Our only problems with fall or winter burns have been the burn window. The days are pretty short for us so we are limited to smaller size burns. As far as your timing question we assume anytime after 9/1 to be fallish. I would prefer October.

Back