Epic fails

has anyone ever had those days where you just failed the dogs miserably after they worked hard and did everything to produce their end of the bargain well i sure as hell have and today was EPIC the first bird was pointed bye the pro my old female britt the second by both the pro and ameature the pros doughter and the third by the ameture all by herself and all three times i failed to knock down the birds and the dogs gave me that ARE YOU SERIOUSE LOOK and then proceded to carry on with their tasks

it sounds familiar, but the shock therapy and three years of counseling made me so I'm unable to remember first hand. i do remember my companions foibles. I watched a close friend miss two seperate dead to rights pheasants, at a fair distance, made up my mind to not ask about it. We got back to the car, silence ensues, after we were on the road a few miles, he mutters, " I'd rather slam my dick in the car door than miss a pointed bird". I left that completely alone, it was never spoken of again, and that's my advice to you. Or blame it on the gun! Or ammunition. Just think of the story those roosters are telling the hens.:cheers:

has anyone ever had those days where you just failed the dogs miserably after they worked hard and did everything to produce their end of the bargain well i sure as hell have and today was EPIC the first bird was pointed bye the pro my old female britt the second by both the pro and ameature the pros doughter and the third by the ameture all by herself and all three times i failed to knock down the birds and the dogs gave me that ARE YOU SERIOUSE LOOK and then proceded to carry on with their tasks

unfortunately, i feel better now.......i thought that just happened to me...join the club.

Seems I've gotta return to burd hunter kindygarden for a full day at least once a year! The stories are best told first hand so I can get the gestures and body english in. But, yep, done that!

LOL....O&N, it's been a very long week between work, family, and Pheasants Forever, but something about your story just lifted 100 pounds off my shoulders. I got a kick out of it. Thanks for sharing.

Anyway, I don't know what it is, but every year (when in SD) i have 1 day out of 4 or 5 days where I can't hit a thing. No matter how easy the shot.

Each guy within our party goes through the same thing, though some can't hit a darn thing the whole trip. lol

As frustrating as those easy misses are I suppose they keep us humble. ;)

if you think about it...... somewhere between your 1st shot (miss) and your 2nd shot (miss).......is when you should have pulled the trigger the first time.......and you would have likely killed the bird. :thumbsup:

Last week I took the pup out. She has really figured out what she is doing. She put 4 roosters up, all within range, and I kicked another out of a corner. I shot 11 times at 5 birds, and never touched a feather. On the way home, I think that Molly wanted me to stop and shoot a cow, thinking that MAYBE I could hit it if it didn't move.

I think i had repressed this until reading this thread. Earlier in the year while out hunting I had my first chance at a true double on pheasant in quite some time. First rooster gets up and I hear the familiar " click" on the auto. I quickly cycle a shell and miss the second one twice. My buddy did manage to kill the first one. At least my dog did manage to get to retrieve something for his effort. That was my best whiff so far this year.

the thing that gets me is that 2 weeks ago i was on fire then today i had the stupid i've never been hunting before syndrom and man they were easy shots flying away from me all three times i think the dogs are still upset they kinda gave me the cold shoulder at meal time as if to say OH you think i might deserve your portion of supper tonight becouse you sure as hell dont

GCB, way to go, I had almost repressed the memories of some of the worst shooting I have ever gone through.

I missed 5, yes 5 pointed roosters in a row over my older setter a month ago, and have now missed 6-7 pointed quail over my 7 month old pup. Its like I have never shot a gun before. :eek:

I am pretty sure that I need a new gun ;)

I might miss one on occassion but not very often. And I am being honest. I bought a new Browning Gold in 2002 and have been on fire every since. The only shells it has seen is Kent Fast Lead (used to be Kent Ultimate Pheasant). Just a perfect combination for me. If I failed to get one chances are I probably should not of shot anyway.

yes i'm pretty sure the barrel on my gun was bent downwards and the follow up gun i used well the firing pin was gone :D

My hunting buddy and I rarely hunt together without talking about "the Lindsborg day"

I am sure the day has gotten slightly exaggerated in our minds over the years... But our recollection of the day is something like this...

The dogs, 2 GSPs, pointed 15-20 roosters in one field, along with a great covey. We walked out of the field with no birds and 2 pissed off dogs. Really really pissed off dogs. I have never seen a dog look me in the eyes like those dogs did that day.

It was like someone switched our shells with blanks.:(

GCB, Did you give up drinking for the new year!!! You must of had the shakes!! This does not sound like the GCB I know!!!!! Maybe you have been sniffin' to much of that burning metal!!!!:D:D Chalk it up to a bad dream!!!!!!:cheers:

Everyone has a bad day or a miss that should have been a hit. I usually miss the easiest shot of the hunt , the one the dog points under my feet. My dad always says when its tough or I miss a easy shot he felt sorry for the rest cause they were going down even at 60 plus yards:thumbsup: Good luck on the next hunt. Dave

When I miss a pointed rooster, I just get sick. Doesn't happen often, just no excuse and a disappointed dog. Or I cripple a couple in a row and they go down without a dog seeing them because of heavy cover. Happened once this year.
On the good side, I shot the last 13 birds of the season without a miss, all with 20 ga sxs 1oz or 1 1/8 loads. Can't recall a double or opportunity for one this year.

I think the boy loaded em with some cotton!!!!!!!!:eek:

the thing that gets me is that 2 weeks ago i was on fire then today i had the stupid i've never been hunting before syndrom and man they were easy shots flying away from me all three times i think the dogs are still upset they kinda gave me the cold shoulder at meal time as if to say OH you think i might deserve your portion of supper tonight becouse you sure as hell dont

It's been a long time since I had a failure that I would call 'EPIC', but sure, I still miss one here and there...;)

I used to have epic failures regularly. Rusty and I learned bird hunting together, so I let him down plenty of times. We watched plenty of ducks commit to the decoys and then fly away unharmed. I can remember pushing and weaving through many fields in the early years, trying to corral the roosters into some heavy cover. Sometimes the plan worked perfectly, except that I would miss them all when we got to the end of the field.:eek:

I can't prove it, but I'm sure I probably went 0-fer on a box of shells a few times in the early days, especially if there were quail involved.:thumbsup: I used to make sure I had a shell in every single loop (probably 20), and another full box of shells in the back of my vest at all times... The first time I ever doubled, I think I called everybody I knew to tell them.:laugh: Those days of truly EPIC failures are long gone, I hope!

One thing about a golden retriever, they may pout, but they don't talk trash like some of the other breeds. I'm sure your dogs will forgive you. It's not in their nature to hold grudges.

I believe I admitted to this in the MN section earlier,LOL.:D the first 3 times out I missed birds. Happens to everyone.
:cheers:

Back