End of season reflections…

benelli-banger

Well, almost end of the season…hope to get back out to SD once more. Started in early September hunting sharpies and huns…love that hunt, love that country! Thankful for water in sloughs and stockdams…because such a warm time of year, that water was awesome for the dogs…light cover helps the dogs as well, not common to cause overheating, but hunting early in the am helps that as well. Had a few weeks between the final sharpie trip before SD pheasant opener, did some ruffed grouse hunting around home…should have done more, best year in a LONG time per those out in the woods a lot…many guys were getting limits regularly, even up to 12/31…I missed the boat, but that’s ok. SD was very dry, and moderate to warm temps, even up to 1/4/24, my final day of my recent trip. Lots of habitat was mowed, plowed, cut, etc…downside to the temperate, dry weather. $6,000/acre farmground, or $200-$300/acre rental prices, will do that. Luckily my area got lots of ground enrolled in habitat programs, which will offset the habitat losses, but I still cringe when I see it happening.

I‘d say birds were up in most areas, as I hunt same spots year after year, can discern trends from prior year…not huge increases, but increases. I saw sloughs with hundreds of birds, and they weren’t huge sloughs…ten acres? Fifteen acres? good sign…certainly drew birds from many directions, but there were birds to draw. Very thankful for safe hunting pals, healthy body that allows me to walk all day if need be, and healthy dogs that avoided any injuries. Have figured out a simple, inexpensive, and reliable dog bootie system for my dog with sensitive pads. My Orvis $25 ear plugs are awesome, very thankful to have discovered them last season. Lucky to have farmer friends that are generous and hospitable who put up with me and my pals! Our cooking and hydrating in the evening with our local farmer friends is always the highlight of the season! Food is usually edible! 😆...beverages are always wet!! 🤪. Shooting was good this year, but some spectacular misses nonetheless! This season only confirmed my penchant for lighter guns, open chokes and standard loads as far as velocity and amount of shot…usually #6 lead in the real early season and then #5 lead once pheasant season opens…whether shooting sub-gauges or a 12 gauge. Had no vehicle problems with the exception of a flat tire caused by bean stubble…one of my close farmer friends has a tire shop and a hired man who will fix flat tires…very lucky to be 5 miles away when I discovered my tire being low…but the 40 minute walk I just had finished buoyed my spirits no matter what my vehicle‘s condition! I really feel lucky to not have had any inclement weather in the course of my trips this fall…never fun. Will pray for adequate moisture, but no wicked blizzards…birds in great shape thus far, not always the case. Hope to have many more seasons, ideally like this one…🙏🏻🍻👍

Glad you had a good season! This was by far the best season I have personally ever had. The birds were plentiful, the cover was not mowed, and the dogs really came into their own this year at almost 3 years old. It was a fun thing to watch as the season progressed for us. The rooster/hen ratio was the best I have ever seen. Rumor has it there was three seperate hatches in our area this year (not sure if that is true or not)...but early November we fushed some birds that were so small you couldn't make out their plumage in flight. I agree with you, if we can have another mild winter and get moisture this next year when we need it, it will be another off the charts year. I am not ready to hang it up yet...there is a local hunt club I plan to visit and get some 'end of the year birds' hopefully once or twice yet....but time will tell.

I would rate my season as a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10. I am personally not a fan of the warm, mild weather, but it was nice not having to trudge through a foot of snow by Thanksgiving.

I feel very fortunate to have as good of hunting as I do within an hour of my house. There's a pretty good chance I would not be doing this if I had to drive hours and pay nonresident fees to hunt pressured public land.

As long as I can continue to gain permission, my health and my dog's health continue, I'll try it again next season.

Birds (and other wildlife) are in great shape thus far with the mild winter. Hoping for that to continue. Also hoping that our annual summer drought does not occur again.

I had a great season, best ever for sure. It was my pup's 2nd season and the improvement from the 1st season was substantial. (and season 1 was really good) Watching a young dog figure things out and improve is something to see.
Two trips to ND, two to SD, and four to New Mexico for quail. (skipped Kansas this year) Outstanding bird numbers where I hunt in ND, especially pheasant. SD pheasant numbers were good too. Tried a new area for quail in NM and it paid off. Not really ready to let go of the season, but I've hit it very hard since Sept, so it's time. I'll try a few duck hunts here local in the next couple of weeks and start making the transition to fishing.

I’ve got two 5-day SD trips in already this year, with a third planned for the last weekend of the season.

The first trip was a two-man, 3-dog public land adventure and we put 2-man limits in the air within gun range everyday.

The second was a 2-day public, 3-day guided hunt in early December that always puts me in the holiday spirit with good friends, exceptional hosts and fantastic dog work.

I want to experience a typical end-of-season hunt and have talked 5 kindred gluttons for punishment to join me to face the frigid weather and test our mettle in less accommodating conditions. We plan to leave after work on a Wednesday, drive 16 hours thru the night to hunt thurs afternoon, Fri, Sat and sun, and drive thru the night Sunday to arrive Back in MS before work Monday.

My wife’s patience has worn thin with and I’m sure the piper will have to be paid come spring time. But I’m not gettting any younger, and I figure I only have 5 or 6 more seasons left with my dog, if we’re both lucky. For now, I’m counting down the days…

Last edited:
Back