end of season hunt

I've seen 300-500 birds coming into WPA's, back 5-7 years ago, when the bird numbers hit their 40 year highs. I spoke to a farmer whose corn field was the feed station for all these birds, and he applied for crop damage. with the loss of all the CRP, I don't see anywhere near the number of birds. Where we would see 50-70 birds back then, we now see 15-30. I truly hope SDFG can continue expanding habitat - CREP, etc. I don't want to start a string on mowing ditches, but sure seems to be a simple and free way of creating thousands of acres of habitat. No easy solutions here, but more habitat is the only way the bird numbers can return to what we enjoyed not long ago.
Thank goodness for all the private land owners out there that maintain wildlife habitat. This is more important than ever.

I saw a video on untuned where hundreds of birds were flushing out of this nylon field. Maybe 500 birds. It was a spectacular show!! I want to see something like that in my lifetime, but I'm not going to pay some guy big bucks to see it.
I take it "nylon" is a typo on your part.

Unfortunately, I believe "pay to hunt" will be the only way to hunt pheasants in the future.

I wouldn't mind paying a so called "trespass fee", but as much as I love pheasant hunting (more than deer hunting), I will give up pheasant hunting before I pay those BIG BUCKS for canned bird hunting with a gang.

I enjoy hunting with my wife or alone (with our faithful Golden) of course, to enjoy the hunt.

I agree- every year, there are more farmers charging money to hunt. I will pay 10 dollars, or a few beers.There was some guy the other day, who wanted 200 dollars, to get on his land for a day!!! 200 dollars? Are you kidding me?The prices these places charge these well heeled types, are outrageous. My dad payed for one by Gregory one time, the cable wasn't hooked up on the tv, the bus broke down, we were the only ones hunting.It was sort of cool, to stay at a place like that, and the hunting was good, no limit, but it was really spendy.

Those who fear pay to play have to invest in public lands true public land not walk in private lands & there will always be a little land to hunt for free in SD MN ND NE there will always be some lands open for free with pheasants on them...

it will never completly be 100% pay to play like Bob white quail down in the deep deep south on plantation hunts are today no public land with quail in them state's...

I drive by LOTS of pretty decent public land in Mn as I head to SD 7 times per season. I have looked many times at the MN DNR interactive map tool that shows the public land, and there is a $hitpot of it in SW Mn....a client of mine hunted around Marshall in early Dec...said there were LOTS of birds, and they did OK...MN is doing a decent job, I would say, as it relates to public land...

Those who fear pay to play have to invest in public lands true public land not walk in private lands & there will always be a little land to hunt for free in SD MN ND NE there will always be some lands open for free with pheasants on them...

it will never completly be 100% pay to play like Bob white quail down in the deep deep south on plantation hunts are today no public land with quail in them state's...

Every time I see these outfitters move into these areas, I cringe.I know the free hunting is gone forever , and it's sad that my nephews will never have the opportunity I had.

being a smart aleck...I was lost myself by the prior post...didn't know we were talking about birds being released, but then again, I was on the "short bus" if you know what i mean???? Yes, the economics of farming have changed dramatically over the past few decades, making it tougher to leave land in less-productive uses, like wildlife habitat. I know several farm families right now that are absorbing another family into the operation..usually a son and daughter-in-law, and a child or two...I think about health insurance alone, and what that costs...not to mention the actual inputs required to farm. But I must say, I saw few hunters this fall, though I made it out less myself than usual. But for the lone hunter, or the pair of hunters, that want to hunt, be it in MN or SD or ND, there is public land to hunt. 500 bird flushes? No. But that's OK, at least in my mind. Enjoy...

That's great - does MN. RELEASE BIRDS ON PUBLIC LAND?

No??? What is your point on this comment??? You lost us dumb MN boys also???

You have BLM & BML & WPA Also a few refuges open to all in MT plus WMA ...

MN has a lot if public owned WMA in prime pheasant range no need to release birds... SD public lands just gets over hunted 1st part of season can have some good hunts late if u hunt I. Dec/Jan see huges flushes...

First of all, one word, punctuation.

How do you propose we do this investment? And why do you seem to have a hard-on for privately-owned land leased for public access? At-least that land is still enrolled in the property tax base, contributing not only hunting opportunities, but in sending the kids to school, as well. I love the walk-in program and think it has been a big success. If you saw the walk-in buck that gave me the slip for two weeks last month, you might agree. I'm talking the kind of deer that people pay thousands to get a shot at.

First of all, one word, punctuation.

How do you propose we do this investment? And why do you seem to have a hard-on for privately-owned land leased for public access? At-least that land is still enrolled in the property tax base, contributing not only hunting opportunities, but in sending the kids to school, as well. I love the walk-in program and think it has been a big success. If you saw the walk-in buck that gave me the slip for two weeks last month, you might agree. I'm talking the kind of deer that people pay thousands to get a shot at.

Two words... no punctuation...

Don't like the fact the private lands leased can be taken away & un enrolled & are not owned by state thus not managed for wildlife many times only grass vs all season habitat like on lands managed for & produceing wildlife...

Many states claiming huge numbers of walk in acres many times enroll crap lands to also get some OK or good acres enrolled I talking KS WIHA & ND PLOTS... MN & SD have WIA & I've had to look at lots b4 I find a good WIA...

also I've herd guys improveing there lands with coast share projects etc. & pulling the lands after the projects were complete so no more walk in private land...

I've seen tons & tons of huge wall hangers out in SD on state & private lands ur buck I. Sure was huge but not the only 1 in SD & I've seen plenty on GPA during rifle & bow season like u say the kind people pay huge $$$ for & put in videos/magazine's

I'm just saying I wish some of that $$$ that goes to private leased lands WIA would go to buying more state or WPA fed lands & or improveing exsisting state lands or WPA fed owned lands not calling for a end to the program...

Maybe if SD did like MN ask the WIA & CREP hunters to pay 3$ access fee to be able to hunt them lands etc.? I would not pay I don't in MN any longer all are happy what's 3$ & it mite even add a few more crep or WIA spots???

Two words... no punctuation...

Don't like the fact the private lands leased can be taken away & un enrolled & are not owned by state thus not managed for wildlife many times only grass vs all season habitat like on lands managed for & produceing wildlife...

Many states claiming huge numbers of walk in acres many times enroll crap lands to also get some OK or good acres enrolled I talking KS WIHA & ND PLOTS... MN & SD have WIA & I've had to look at lots b4 I find a good WIA...

also I've herd guys improveing there lands with coast share projects etc. & pulling the lands after the projects were complete so no more walk in private land...

I've seen tons & tons of huge wall hangers out in SD on state & private lands ur buck I. Sure was huge but not the only 1 in SD & I've seen plenty on GPA during rifle & bow season like u say the kind people pay huge $$$ for & put in videos/magazine's

I'm just saying I wish some of that $$$ that goes to private leased lands WIA would go to buying more state or WPA fed lands & or improveing exsisting state lands or WPA fed owned lands not calling for a end to the program...

Maybe if SD did like MN ask the WIA & CREP hunters to pay 3$ access fee to be able to hunt them lands etc.? I would not pay I don't in MN any longer all are happy what's 3$ & it mite even add a few more crep or WIA spots???

Private lands can be leased for pennies on the dollar compared to outright purchase, they might not always be world-class, but we don't owe you a world-class hunt for the cost of your license, just the chance that you might have one. Also, these lands are still in the tax base, where state-owned lands are not.

The habitat improvement projects are separate from the Walk-in program, therefore it's not possible to enroll in the walk-in program, then get miles of shelterbelt installed, then pulling it from the program. Most habitat improvement programs are Federally controlled, not state.

Some of that money, a lot of it does go to outright purchase of land for public access, see the debate on the forum regarding "Keep Public Land Public" where I explain that when someone defaults on an FHA loan, that land has to be offered to government entities at cost before it can be offered on the open market. I was watching a thread where people were bitching about the lack of access in the Platte area. While I was reading that, I was sitting in a cabin on my buddies land at Platte, having just driven by hundreds of acres of these FHA purchases which have been enrolled in the GPA program after purchase by GFP. There was not a single truck parked at any of those areas, but people were on here bitching about poor hunting and no access, while the ditches around those areas were lousy with roosters.

Not to pick at you but your posts are hard to read due to lack of spelling and punctuation. Here is an example:

also I've herd guys improveing there lands with coast share projects etc

Capitol A on Also, the word "herd" implies you are talking about a group of animals, I think the word you are looking for is "heard", Improveing is spelled improving, and "there" should be spelled "their" in the context you are using it. Also, "coast" implies you are talking about a free-wheeling bicycle, or the interface of ocean to terra firma, I think the word "cost" is what you are looking for. I know you are an intelligent person, you just don't come across as- such due to the way you write. Peace.

Private lands can be leased for pennies on the dollar compared to outright purchase, they might not always be world-class, but we don't owe you a world-class hunt for the cost of your license, just the chance that you might have one. Also, these lands are still in the tax base, where state-owned lands are not.

The habitat improvement projects are separate from the Walk-in program, therefore it's not possible to enroll in the walk-in program, then get miles of shelterbelt installed, then pulling it from the program. Most habitat improvement programs are Federally controlled, not state.

Some of that money, a lot of it does go to outright purchase of land for public access, see the debate on the forum regarding "Keep Public Land Public" where I explain that when someone defaults on an FHA loan, that land has to be offered to government entities at cost before it can be offered on the open market. I was watching a thread where people were bitching about the lack of access in the Platte area. While I was reading that, I was sitting in a cabin on my buddies land at Platte, having just driven by hundreds of acres of these FHA purchases which have been enrolled in the GPA program after purchase by GFP. There was not a single truck parked at any of those areas, but people were on here bitching about poor hunting and no access, while the ditches around those areas were lousy with roosters.

Not to pick at you but your posts are hard to read due to lack of spelling and punctuation. Here is an example:

also I've herd guys improveing there lands with coast share projects etc

Capitol A on Also, the word "herd" implies you are talking about a group of animals, I think the word you are looking for is "heard", Improveing is spelled improving, and "there" should be spelled "their" in the context you are using it. Also, "coast" implies you are talking about a free-wheeling bicycle, or the interface of ocean to terra firma, I think the word "cost" is what you are looking for. I know you are an intelligent person, you just don't come across as- such due to the way you write. Peace.

You are correct I did not care about punctuation in school or now you probably won't change that...

I am sorry if I confused you & you thought a herd of cattle had some habitat put in on there private land & then pulled the land out of what ever program the were part of... I think you are more picking then confused...???

I am also kinda confused are you happy or un happy that the FHA lands etc. Have been turned to GPA or...

Only thing I can think why no hunters is either nobody wanted to work for there birds? I see them huge GPA along the MO river been along the MO I assume the land breaky cedar S*** ? Many don't wanna hunt that once they look at it...

Or you were hunting during one of them extreme cold stretch's or ice storm late season? something kept the hunters away I'd guess??? I doubt they were un hunted all season??? I trust nobody was around ive seen it b4 in eastern SD ...

I'm all for state owned lands I've never not hunted a public peace of land due to it not still in the state tax base???

I explain it to cry baby outta state hunters all the time that CREP & WIA are not state land lands when they cry SD needs to improve there public lands etc. Or there favorite WIA was un enrolled...

In MN I've seen WIA enrolled then un enrolled after trees planted it mite not of been a coast share project? I'm not 100% I kinda fear what I've seen happen in KS WIHA gets enrolled then some guys with big $$$ offer the land owner more $$$ then the state the next season & its there private turkey pheasant deer etc. Hunting spot vs open to public if it was a state owned chunk it will be around forever at least in MN I've seen GPA disappear out IN SD I'm sure someone is killing pheasant off it now...

I'm not worried if I don't sound intelligent so you don't have to worry ranchodeluxe

Last edited:
we all have lots more in common that not...things are OK in my eyes as it relates to public ground in Mn and the Dakota's...perfect? no...but pretty darned good. But it never hurts to do the simple things, like join PF for $35 annually, when they give you $30 worth of gander mtn gift cards! No brainer there. Or, let your politicians know your feelings about the farm bill when it comes up...or, just let your state reps know how you feel about the state of public land programs. a thank you note to a farmer/landowner goes a long way, too...especially if there are kids involved. many of them are deeply sentimental and want to know that there will be places for their own grandkids to hunt. Hope everyone has a great 2017...I am looking forward to it myself! my wife went through alcohol treatment during the mid-fall, came home, relapsed a fair amount, then fell and broke her neck about a month ago...she is recovering at home now, wearing a brace, never lost the use of her extremities. Life is pretty good...really good, actually.

Amen BB
I'm thankful for the public hunting opportunities in SD, and would guess most all who routinely visit this site are PF members. Unless you own good hunting land, there are no guarantees. look at Texas; huge state where hunting rights have been locked up for decades. Signing the petition U-Guide sent out a while back was easy and took just a few minutes. The only guarantee is change. We hunt but a few of the SD spots we enjoyed 10 years ago; many of those WIA'S lost with $6.50 corn. If you love to hunt, find new spots. Support our hunting heritage any way you can, and mentor youth hunting.
I have lost family and dear friends to alcoholism. Your sharing brings back both great and difficult memories. God speed to you and your wife. She needs your support, more than you know. I'm with you, life is good, let's all have a great 2017

Amen BB
I'm thankful for the public hunting opportunities in SD, and would guess most all who routinely visit this site are PF members. Unless you own good hunting land, there are no guarantees. look at Texas; huge state where hunting rights have been locked up for decades. Signing the petition U-Guide sent out a while back was easy and took just a few minutes. The only guarantee is change. We hunt but a few of the SD spots we enjoyed 10 years ago; many of those WIA'S lost with $6.50 corn. If you love to hunt, find new spots. Support our hunting heritage any way you can, and mentor youth hunting.
I have lost family and dear friends to alcoholism. Your sharing brings back both great and difficult memories. God speed to you and your wife. She needs your support, more than you know. I'm with you, life is good, let's all have a great 2017

Find new places, that's right. I was talking to a dude in Lewistown the other day, and he didn't know it, but he turned me onto a good place.

Back