Eating

Hossdog

I have a 2 yr old gsp and a 1 yr old gsp and when I feed them I don't think even try to chew the food they just inhale it. I know it's not good for them at all. I have separated them and fed them but the still just snarf it down. Any ideas on how I can slow them down ?

i think i've seen some bowls designed with dividers in them that keep them from getting big mouth fulls , Doesn't it mess their gut up if the eat too much too fast.

I know this may sound dumb but are they getting enough to eat could that be why they are eating so fast or is the brand of dog food not satisfing them ?

To be honest they are getting more then they probably should.. They done the same on pro plan and when I switched to diamond it's still the same

I thought it was because they were afraid that the other dog would eat there food but I separated them to fed them and they still do it

Why do you think that it's not good for them at all? Does it cause any problems (puke, etc...)? Otherwise, I wouldn't worry. I figure that canids evolved to bolt down their food in a hurry, competing with the rest of the pack etc... so I think they can handle it. I did notice with my lab "Hoover" (just kidding - "Ruby") that she would suck in a lot of air if the bowl was on the floor. Trying to overcome gravity I guess! She would let these huge burps after, and once in a while she'd spew. Vet told me to raise the bowl, which I did so that she eats in a more "horizontal" way. No more problems, but she still just slurps it up - you can hear all the unchewed kibble go down there throat like a handful of gravel! I've never heard her chew a single kibble.
-Croc

I have those and they don't really help

They did for my dog. Bought this one in a large and it slowed down my food inhaling GSP.: http://www.brake-fast.net/

What these bowls do is not stop how fast they attemp to eat, but rather how much they can get into their mouths in one gulp. So in affect they take longer to get through a bowl of food and less chance of bringing it back up.

I've even heard of people that will spread out the kibble on a baking sheet so they have to eat each kibble individually.

Last edited:
I don't know why the speed of their eating would be a problem. Dogs don't chew like we do - they don't have molars for food grinding nor the jaw movement that would allow grinding. Dog food is nothing more than tiny pieces of food stuck together in chunks.

I don't know why the speed of their eating would be a problem. Dogs don't chew like we do - they don't have molars for food grinding nor the jaw movement that would allow grinding. Dog food is nothing more than tiny pieces of food stuck together in chunks.

Yes, but the problem arises when they try to swallow too much, too fast all at once.

in deep chested dogs it has been shown that eating to fast can be a cause of bloat. I split each meal into 2 meals. Say for breakfast I would give my weim half a scoop of food when they came in from outside and another half a scoop when I got out of the shower 15mins later. After a while the second portion went down a little slower and gave them a few minutes to calm down. The other option I have heard is putting balls in their food that they have to move around in order to eat.

Well this not be ideal to some. I just put it on the floor of my garage. My garage is epxoy coated. My lab used to woof down his food too fast. But I saw my dog trainer do it and I figured I would try it out. I think I would rather them do this than to get their stomach twisted with air. It spreads the food out out and it doesn't cost you anything. Just my .02 pennies. :cheers:

Back