Easy winter so far

I was in eastern Montana the last 3 days. 46 degrees above zero yesterday and only an inch or two of snow (less after yesterday). Lots of birds and not many hunters around.

Life is good. :D

BC,

Wish I could make it up there and take care of your bird problem. Definitely next year, so save a few.

I had planned this year too make a trip, but lousy planning at work did not allow me the opportunity. I’m too gun-shy to take a chance (weather) this late in the season. So I will make a trip next year, which will allow me more time to research upland hunting opportunities in the Big Sky country.

The 2 week forecast for Eastern Montana is VERY wildlife friendly, people too.:thumbsup:

I agree

The 2 week forecast for Eastern Montana is VERY wildlife friendly, people too.:thumbsup:

I will say that most of our winters here don't compare to the Midwest as far as significance to the pheasant populations. I have seen a 2-3 year drought take down numbers way further than any of the winters we have had lately, including last year. A drought leaves us with no cover and any cover that is left has no insects for chicks. Just my observation over 20 years or so.

I have hunted pheasants and grouse a few times during and after severe droughts.
I agree totally, except last Winters snow and cold was extreme.
Lots of good grass and cover after last Winter and Spring rains.
Mild, snow melting Winter and a few soft Spring rains.:thumbsup:

I have been traveling south the last couple of weeks with the wife visiting family, but will be back home in Montana to put the finishing touch on 2011 hunting season by adding a few birds to the freezer. Glad to hear the wheather is cooperating, never thought I would be dreaming of a brown Christmas , but after last winter, I don't think I will be wishing for a white Xmas for awhile.

All the deer,antelope, and birds really appreicate the break in winter weather so far. In some areas the population really needed this winter so far.

Merry christmas to all

50 degree days this week in E MT. WOW!

45 this morning in Billings. Supposed to get a little blast tonight, maybe an inch of snow, temps down in teens... then back to the mid 40's by the weekend... Wow. I LOVE winter, but for some reason, this year I'm hoping it stays mild. (keep the birds and deer and elk happy)

Cold snap through the North Country. Wind chill warnings and stuff.

With little snow cover, birds are doing well.:thumbsup:

Sounds like the snow cover will increase over the next couple days... maybe 6-12 inches across a lot of the plains. Hopefully it wont hit them too hard!

Billings had -32 wind chill most the day yesterday... -11 air temp. Negative again today with about 8 inches snow on the ground. Looks like up north didn't get too much, but there is some decent snow from Custer on up towards Roundup! Brr.

Cold stuff through the North Country. -20 and 35-40 below windchill.:eek:
Wildlife does OK with the cold, as long as stuff can get out and about to feed will be good for all.:thumbsup:
Most areas not much to couple inches of snow.:cool:

Cold stuff through the North Country. -20 and 35-40 below windchill.:eek:
Wildlife does OK with the cold, as long as stuff can get out and about to feed will be good for all.:thumbsup:
Most areas not much to couple inches of snow.:cool:

At least for North Central we are suppose to be back to 40 above in the next week. :D Hope the forecast is correct for once.

According to the web cams, Fort Peck Res. and the Yellowstone at Glendive have finally frozen. It's time to start a game to guess ice out as shown on the cameras. I say April 30 based on the way my half eaten oatmeal looks in the bottom of the bowl.
fortpeck.jpg

gdvCamera.jpg

Ft Peck will goo out ummmmmm April 12th at 3 pm. :)

Yellowstone ice will break up March 4th 5 pm.:confused:

Thawing weather this week in E MT. :thumbsup:

I don't think the final freeze is in yet. Looking at the ice jammed up on the bridge abutments at Glendive the ice isn't very thick so I think my oatmeal lied to me.
The tracks on the ice at Fort Peck are interesting. I can't imagine it's snowmobiles but then I'm still wearing tee shirts so what do I know about cold? The wind blew the snow off the ice there. Maybe somebody's skating?

Later: Since I posted there is now what appears to be open water around the abutments. I just hope it isn't a spring drought.

Last edited:
Back