Early signs of a hard winter

Just noticed that the picture of the Yellowstone at Glendive seems to be in real time so you can just look there to see the current ice conditions on the YS. Who knew!

yep, I deer hunt down near there and there was ice on the yellowstone back in mid November. It is an unrestricted river as far as dams go. The missouri where I live is coming out of Ft. Peck.

There's a web cam at the dam for Fort Peck . Recently it's been foggy in the morning because the lake water is warmer than the air temp. Downstream for a way it should be ice free for a while. Eventually Port Peck freezes over except for what looks like a hole in the ice out in front of the dam where the water is deepest but I imagine the river below it is still ice free for some distance below the dam.

As soon as you don't see fog Ft Peck lake will be frozen. Yeah the river below the dam stays open for miles, then even more open with a Winter warm up.

The lakes in Northern MN are all froze up, the big deep lakes are not safe yet. Lake Superior does not freeze over. Just in bays and in the harbor, extreme cold will sometimes freeze out from shore couple miles. Big, deep, nasty lake.:eek:

So far in SD it's a roller coaster. Couple days of cold weather and then it gets beyond nice again. Tues 6 below at my house, yesterday hunting above 50 a little west.

Back