early chicken hunt

jphunter

Would like to do an early chicken hunt but i have never done it. Anybody able to point me in the right diretion or willing to let me tag along.

I have never done it. From what I hear step 1 is get some good boots. There is an immense amount of ground to cover per found bird.

Go to the KDWP website. There is a whole bunch of info on there for everything you are asking.

Asking for the best place to hunt is kinda like asking a guy to take his wife or girlfriend on a date. Probably ain't gonna happen. KDWP website is the " dating" website for new guys looking for the best place to hunt. Lol.

All in good fun.

Would like to do an early chicken hunt but i have never done it. Anybody able to point me in the right diretion or willing to let me tag along.

Flint hills... Find the military installation read there chickens there... Find prairie grass by sunflowers... Guys pass shoot them like ducks in KS there not as tuff as guys make them out to be... Look at the Nebraska thread good tips for prairie grouse on the sandhills thread Ithink its called the last tthread posted on is the thread I'm talking about...

Good luck... I get to go hunt prairie chickens here in MN come last week of sept can't wait

P.S. they like alfelfa & corn also buggy stuff early only

I generally find them in pastures that are grazed down a bit. Not a lawn, but far from a jungle...

And the tip about boots is a good one. Even when you get to know their habits in an area, you may still be doing a good bit of hiking before (or if) you find them.

If your dog is steady, I would not hack her back in at all. Let her run as far and wide as she wants to go. You're covering some big country going after early season chickens.

Bring plenty of water for you and the dog and pace yourself. It is still awfully damn hot and humid in September. I like to bounce along a creek if I am lucky enough to be hunting near one just to give the dog plenty of opportunities to dunk herself. I'm not really expecting to find chickens near the creek, but I'll just check back to it when the dog looks hot.

The young prairie chix might hold until you are nearly on top of them, but the old ones usually won't. They remember what's up, and will often start getting jumpy about the time you are walking into the edge of gun range. Sometimes there is a straggler even if the rest of the flock jumps early...

Good luck!

Where you from? Do you have a dog? I'm probably going to go a time or two - my goal is to get out at least once. I've had good luck getting on them in January and December with my dog. They should be more spread out early and hold a bit better. I've never hunted them early but used to find lessers in Sept and Oct when I lived near Garden City quite often and and ran the dog - they usually held real well that time of year.

It's a crapshoot if you find them and need to do lots of walking. I've had good luck on the right WIHA's for them. Pass Shooting is for the "birds" no pun intended as long as I'm capable of walking and have a dog thats how I want to hunt them.

Back