Ear protection ideas from seeds etc…?

tomt

My new pup seemingly hasn’t grown into her ears yet. She’s a hard charger and her floppy ears tend to “fold over”. Add this to the fact that she is a small little lab (mom was 42lbs, dad in high 50’s) who is rarely above the grass and weed seeds. This has caused 2 trips to the vet in order for grass seeds to be removed. After the first trip, I’m very careful where I am working her, but that only goes so far. I’m hoping that she grows into her ears (she’s 11 months) but in the meantime I’ve spent almost $500 on seed extraction. Anyone know of any “ear muff” type protection available for dogs that actually stay on? Short of that, how has others delt with this issue? Don’t need to “hear”(punny, he he) get dog insurance

Attachments

• IMG_0935.jpeg
    IMG_0935.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
I've never had an issue with seeds but I rinse my labs ears out after every trip to flush anything else out. My first lab was prone to ear infections and this seemed to help. Not sure if it will flush out seeds or not. Your vet would be able to recommend a good flush for you.

There are several K9 ear wipe products out there that are designed to slide over your index finger to clean their ears.
My previous lab was prone to ear infections, these made it so much easier to help clean them.
My current lab has no ear issues, but I use these for routine hygiene with him as well as after hunt maintenance.

could you make an ear band from ladies hose? they are tapered so you could cut the band where it would fit snugly over the ears. maybe fold for a double layer with the non cut edge the leading edge to slow fraying. OR you could tie a length of hose around the dogs ears and tie it under the neck.

btw very nice looking dog

Last edited:
could you make an ear band from ladies hose? they are tapered so you could cut the band where it would fit snugly over its ears.
Ohhhh, good idea.
Check out Rex specs has ear coverings. I’m about to invest in some rex specs googles. Too much crap in dogs eyes after hunting cat tails. Cheaper in the long run.
Thanks for suggestions. These are for hearing protection I see, I wonder if it would mess up the communication between us in the field, or if they are designed to let “normal” sounds through and block the sharp/loud retorts simulator to how they are designed for humans

Ohhhh, good idea.

Thanks for suggestions. These are for hearing protection I see, I wonder if it would mess up the communication between us in the field, or if they are designed to let “normal” sounds through and block the sharp/loud retorts simulator to how they are designed for humans

if you try it, you might want to carry a pair because they may need replacing during a day of hunting after going through cover

Seems dogs are wearing more "stuff" every year. Skid plates, Neoprene, Googles, now ear protection? Get a good quality bred hunting, working line dog and go hunt. I know people spending big money on anxiety drugs and riddlen for dogs now a days and then talk about breeding them because it found a bird once. Sorry if I offended anyone just had to vent once.

Seems dogs are wearing more "stuff" every year. Skid plates, Neoprene, Googles, now ear protection? Get a good quality bred hunting, working line dog and go hunt. I know people spending big money on anxiety drugs and riddlen for dogs now a days and then talk about breeding them because it found a bird once. Sorry if I offended anyone just had to vent once.
Oh yeah, not being proactive and just letting your dog suffer the consequences when there is a possible solution to a potentially lethal situation is the answer for us “woke dog owners”. 🙄
Don’t worry, dumb comments don’t offend me, but I also don’t give them a free pass.

One trip to the vet and that protective equipment is paid for. Some dogs just seem to find trouble and require stitches every year.
That ounce of prevention is a pound of cure. Do what works for you and your dog.

Back