E-COLLAR

I updated my stuff for this year and got the Garmin 550 pro Plus w/ 2 collars. I like having a single collar on my dogs and it's easy to toggle between them when I have 2 out at the same time. Always a couple seconds behind the dogs movement but it gives me a good idea of distance and direction. Takes a minute to link the collar to the controller in the morning and I just lay them on the dash and do one collar at a time. So far no problems. Does what I need it to do.

What's your needs and price range? It's honestly hard to beat the alpha 300 or 550 pro depending if you need better tracking or better training.

Can then pair it with a garmin watch to hunt without looking at the controller.

But it's pricey, that's for sure.

Garmin 550 pro Plus with TTmini for my Lab. I have had it over three years and 0 issues. I upland and waterfowl hunt with it, as well as regular training sessions.

Thanks for the info, I had german shorthairs before and only had collars but no tracking, now I want something a lil better but not break the bank….my Brittany is just 15 weeks

I do not use correctional collars, but do not judge those that make the decision. I believe that the Garmin Alpha (with correction) and Garmin Astro (without correction) have the same tracking capabilities. GPS mapping and tracking has been great ... I would probably not hunt without one.

The Garmin Astro is what I use. I have used the Astro for over 10 years. I believe I am on my second one ... currently use the Astro 320 with a couple of TT-5 collars. I do not remember upgrading to be honest, but I know I did based on the old collar I have lying around.

Whatever you chose ... get the best you can afford.

Last edited:
I don't use a GPS, I use the sportdog 1875 upland. I use the tone/ vibrate mode 99% of the time. I either us a bell with point only mode, typically grouse woods, or beeper in the thick grass/cattails in SD. I use the GPS to track me...lol

Bell guy from 1981 - to about 2010. Did not like the bell in the snow when the clapper iced up. I did own an early beeper collar - used it once - hated the tones and went back to a bell. Glad there are options for each person.

GPS signal can struggle just a bit in denser grouse woods, but nothing that can be overcome.

I actually put a bell on my Britt this fall and took it off after 10 minutes- I guess I just do not miss it.

I like the serenity and stealth of the GPS. I love the 320 vibration when dog is on point.

Bell guy from 1981 - to about 2010. Did not like the bell in the snow when the clapper iced up. I did own an early beeper collar - used it once - hated the tones and went back to a bell. Glad there are options for each person.

GPS signal can struggle just a bit in denser grouse woods, but nothing that can be overcome.

I actually put a bell on my Britt this fall and took it off after 10 minutes- I guess I just do not miss it.

I like the serenity and stealth of the GPS. I love the 320 vibration when dog is on point.
Yeah don't run the bell in the snow for reason you stated. Out in SD run silent most of the time except in cover I can't see weed movement. Part of my stubbornness is just justifing the cost of GPS for 3 dogs.

Agree. The Garmin system with a few collars is not low cost. I own two collars. Typically run one or maybe two dogs together. I have three Brittanys right now ... 5 months, 7 years, almost 14. Only my 7-year-old is hunting right now. My retired dog ran big by my standards and the collar was invaluable because she often found and held birds over 100 yards out.

Life would be a LOT worse if i didnt get the 550+. We use it multiple times a day letting the pup out on our acreage. While hunting, you can check at a glance where and how far away they are. No toggling through screens. Probably one of the best things about it is the tone, which i use for recall. At home, if it says shes a little far away she gets a beep or 2
. If thats ignored she gets a few more. Usually it doesnt come to it, but if she ignores it again, she gets remind via stimulation to get to the house. In the field, it allows me to hunt with her in range without saying a word.

Youll also notice I think everyone suggested a Garmin unit even though there are a couple other options. A guy at Scheels told me they stopped carrying anything but Garmin for GPS because of the amount of returns from the other brands.

Back