Doves

Ranger6

I live on Fort Riley and this year looks like it will be an awesome year for Dove hunting as long as we don't get a quick cold snap. What are you guys seeing?

went for a little drive the other evening,saw a lot of birds.only problem,with all the late rain and cooler temps,doesn't look like anything will be cut.birds are very scattered.IF i can find a baled wheat field,that will be the place.

rain

one minute we are all on here complaining that cause of no rain we have no place to hunt and now that we have rain we have no place to hunt. whata world

cheers

I planted a field for dove about 100 yards from my pond.
But, it didn't rain for almost 6 week after planting.
The rain made some of it come up, sunflowers, millet, ,,,,, but its not going to be mature for the start of the season.

There are lots of doves around but not concentrated in an area.

Steve, if you could just mow any weedy spots down to open up the ground level you'll get doves coming in. Mowed weeds are probably the best dove food plot you could have.

The spot I planted is in the pasture. That grass is 3' tall after all the rain. But I could mow the edge of the dove plot, and a little of the pasture.

dove stuff

for the pond to work it should have a clearing around it or at least some type of
a beach, dove like the open space to feel comfortable, good luck with it

cheers

The pond was perfect for doves until it filled all the way to overflowing. It had 5-6 ft of bare dirt to the waters edge, now there is grass standing in the water.

We needed the water so I am more than happy to have it. Quail and pheasant hunting is much more important to me than doves.

dove stuff

do your mutts readily retrieve the dove? mine do a decent job but the hotter it is outside the more saliva in the mouths, the more feathers that come off in their mouths, the less they like the job. also, when the heat is really high they are more likely to retrieve the dove to a shady spot rather than to me, i kinda understand that i keep a ice chest full of water in the back of the truck and i never hunt in high heat more than usually a couple hundred yards from the truck. works pretty well for me as i usually hunt old farmstead so the truck is always close by, hunts are about 15 min. and that's all the dogs are good for with out water, i let my dog run, usually in part to get used to the heat, toughen pads and just unwind. hot and boring today, one week to go.

cheers

My two are not the greatest retrievers :rolleyes:
Dove would be a good way to make sure they never retrieve again.
It's too hot most of the time to have them out there anyway.

Seaon opens on the first, which is Sunday, right?
Hopefully all the pigeons should be home by then from the races...

But if you are somewhere between Manhattan, and Vinita, Oklahoma and happen to see a pigeon fly by, don't shoot it. It could be mine! :)

Heading to NW. Hope they're still around Sunday.

I went to pick up an old truck in Pawnee county yesterday. There are some dove out there, but they're not concentrated. There are a lot of mud-holes out there, so the birds could just be spread out. I expected to see more though. Oh, and I didn't see a single pheasant and we did spend a little time on the backroads.

I also spent some time near the spot where I start every dove season. There are some birds using it, but nothing like last year and I was there at what I'd consider a "peak" hour.

The boys and I went and shot some clays last Friday. The 8yo is getting good. We're all looking forward to Sunday and Monday morning!

Back