Doom and Gloom?

CowboyBirdDogs

So I've been reading a lot of the threads on this forum and the general consensus is this season will be a tough one. It happens, its hunting, not shooting. Some areas will obviously be better than others. I have a friend that lives in Mitchell, who hunts NW of there for sharpies and chickens. His theory is that grouse numbers have been down in the months of Sept. and Oct. because the birds are staying in the crops more and more until they're cut.

We've come to SD every year since 2012. The year 2012 was supposed to be one of the worst on record, pheasant and grouse numbers were down 64%. With a lot of boot leather, hard work, and luck, we found a great number of birds. We come for grouse more so than pheasant, they're just a bonus bird to me.

So my question is, is this season predicted to be worse than the 2012 season or better? And do you think everyone will be seeing more birds once the crops come out? I hunt in the central part of the state by the way. All public land. 4 guys, 11 pointing dogs. We have no problem working for our birds. My buddy in SD thinks its just too early to tell what the real numbers will be. He's finding grouse now, not a lot, but he says that's not uncommon for Oct. He's seen very few pheasant but maybe they're still in the crops?

We are coming regardless of bird numbers, we always have good success to some degree. Last year we shot quite a few birds but dog work was tough, other years we don't shoot a ton of birds but get great dog work. I'm happier with more good dog work and less birds in the bag. After the SD trip we head home and its time for Texas bobwhites for 3 months, maybe a trip to New Mexico for blues, and a trip to Kansas.

We'll be there Nov 4th.

Just curious what yalls thoughts are.

It will be interesting for sure. I for one would like to hear even reports from friends of people on this site, not just the few people on here.

I will also be going, expectations low... if I recall correctly that 2012 year was actually a little smaller bird per mile count but about the same. Reports are, that the bigger smarter birds will be making up a good part of the harvest this year and the smaller more inexperienced ones that make for an easier shot might be hard to come by. Lets see some big tailfeathers this year boys!

This year will be different for us as our party of 7 will be down to 4. Going to have less boots on the ground info so that will likely affect our bird/hunter ratio as we generally figure out a spot to get a good hunt into by the 3rd or 4th day. Hopefully 2 trucks can stumble onto such a spot this year.

Good luck Cowboy, hope you find grouse to shoot brother.... those are bonus birds for us!

Statewide the average pheasant per mile in 2012 was 4.2. In 2017 it is 1.7. If you look at the areas in he brood survey almost everyone is down compared to 2012. Then when you factor in that there are fewer CRP acres today then in 2012, plus the fact that much of the CRP was hayed off due to the drought, one can only surmise that this will be a tougher year than 2012. Not trying to paint Gloom & Doom guys, but these are just the facts. Sure, we will shoot some birds but it's going to take a lot more work. Good luck!

I talk to a custom combiner, seed salesman and local farm supplier that also guides- their coverage is all over central East River. There was patches of rain in spring at just the right time for broods to survive, others got hail or no rain. Since then there's been rain so it's hard to tell with the green coming up what was drought stricken. So the birds are concentrated in pockets and are mature birds that are staying in cover and crops, not first year dummies running around in the road and ditches all day. They were not seeing anything on their drives around in late summer but now that they are getting crops off, they are coming out of hiding.

Numbers will be down over all but good hunting can be found. It will be tough but versatile hunters that can adapt and move will find success. I think mid-late season spots and tactics are what will be needed since that is when you are hunting mature and educated birds which is what is mostly there now.

I think your right there PeteRevv.

Things were supposed to be doom and gloom last year where I hunted, and we saw probably more birds than the previous year.

I enjoy going no matter what, so bird numbers aren't going to stop me.

just got our first boots on the ground report from our farmers and landowner. for our group it is a mixed bag in that they have birds but they will be generally older birds but they claim that there are some birds from this year. the bad part is that the crops are still standing on a lot of the grounds we hunt and this year it seems to be more corn than soy beans so more of a challenge. We waterfowl hunt as well and our ponds are low and the stock tanks are mud pits right now. we are on the east side of the river in the north central part of the state.

Wheels to the road and boots on the ground. Surpringly impressed. Headed to the races in Wagner tonight. Good luck to the youth hunters this weekend.

Cheer for the Wade Wright car sponsored by Vogts Repair and have a Bud Light for me!

I didn't see this till I got back to the cabin at Chamberlain. First time there. I really liked the track. The heat races were great. The features, not so much. Man they wrecked a lot of cars. I'm a sprint car fan. That's why I was there. I tolerate the other classes if they behave. Sprint car race went green, white checkered. Hobby stock race was entertaining,the other two classes.... 25 minutes to get one green flag lap in, then countless other yellows after that. The modifieds started with like 25 cars and by the time they got one green flag lap in there were only 15. A guy from michigan won, a great interview.

Spent a little time at the refuge at lake Andes.
How big is Charles mix county anyway. Wow
Seen a very wide variety of crops between Chamberlain and Wagner. From very, very poor to pretty darn decent. Not much for wildlife today, other than some muleys at the cabin.

I was cutting some hay millet on Friday and kicked up a nice brood of late hatched pheasants again. At least they produced some that might be around next year. I hope it is not an early winter.

Depends on if it keeps raining like it has the last few weeks. They're working in beans right now and from what I've been told is things are still wet and need to dry to harvest.

Beans will be done around here by the opener. Corn will be another story, I think some corn will be out by then but not all.

Okay, thanks for the info. Its amazing what a difference having corn still out or gone, makes when hunting up there. Hopefully most of it will be out.

That's one reason I wait until November, less hunters, crops are typically out or coming out, a little bit cooler etc.

Driving across 90 right now from Sioux Falls to kimball. Can't believe the number of crops still in the field. Have only seen one field of corn shelled and a little bit that was silage. From what I've seen I would say if it quits raining crops will roll right along as everything looks ready or at least close to ready.

Report from a customer combiner in central East River is they are staying on beans until they are completely done. Nearly there as of Wed 10/11 (couple days ago). Lot of corn is going to silage and therefore will stay standing until field conditions are good. No use struggling through mud for cheap returns. Also no reason to get corn out as soon as it is ready and beat the rush at the elevators. Shouldn't have a problem finding space this year.

He is not seeing any birds at all in the crops so here's hoping they are all tucked in tight in cover waiting for us to come bust them old wily birds out.

Back