Dogs caught in SNARES!

Every state has different trapping laws and how traps are set. MN conibear laws are outdated vs. Wisconsin. There are groups trying to change the laws, but they have not been very successful. The MN group is not anti-trapping - just risk reduction (to dogs) trapping. Placing conibears only in water sets, in elevated (tree) sets, or in cubbie boxes with the trap set well back essentially reduces most all risk to dogs. Conibears are more common in Northern MN.

When I was young there were plenty of illegal leg hold trap sets with bait and or feathers right on top of them ... illegal in ND. Any one I found was not there when the trapper returned. Sorry ... not sorry. Never met a trapper that I met that I thought I could not take down ... much younger and stronger back then. Never had confrontation though ...

Last edited:
ND Bait near trap law:

1702937539087.png

30 years ago, I used to find leg hold traps with pheasant feathers or skin near the trap. My response is noted above.

Leg hold traps on fence posts were common when you could still kill hawks and owls. I believe it worked.

Hey Bob - I have the industrial sized zip ties too and carried them when I late season grouse hunted. I would test yours in cold temperatures, some plastics can go brittle. MN and ND publish the release methods in their literature and websites.

I have a conibear trap that I have learned to release on a stuffed animal. I am not sure how easy it would be with a dog in the trap.

Back