dog virus in midwest

From what I understand the virus is actually a mutation of parainfluenza III. That is addressed in some kennel cough vaccines, although this appears to be a more virulent strain. It has primarily been along the I-90 corridor.

Just a few little things my vet mentioned yesterday.....do not let dogs share water bowls or food bowls. Keep pups separated after the hunt, nose to nose contact is not good. Avoid areas of populated areas of dogs, i.e. if your traveling the highway system, I would avoid rest stop areas to exercise your dog, to me that is the perfect storm as far as areas to spread this virus.

I also avoid rest stops--dog parks ect.
My best areas I look for are small town airports--lots of area--few people around/if any--never had a issue using them--just go to a out of the way area--have even crawled into camper for a little rest at times
Use GPS function or at night look for the green/white flashing lights--

You know I can't help but wonder if the poor air quality in Montana as a result of all the fires could be partially to blame. It's been really bad for quite some time. Probably not connected but it can't be healthy for man or dog.

Back