Dog on the IL

I was out hunting a public area yesterday afternoon and returned to my vehicle about 5:00. I had not noticed anything wrong with my Brittany until I loaded her in the back and saw blood on her leg. A closer inspection revealed a rather large laceration on her upper left leg close to her body. It was about a 2" cut and laying wide open. I made a quick call to my vet and told them I was on the way. I was approx. 30 miles out of town. She not only cut the skin but down into the muscle so a few internal stitches, 10 stitches on the outside and $348 later we were on our way home. Bree will be on the IL for about 2 weeks. Those darn cuts in that area are so difficult to get any kind of wrap on so I'll have to figure out how I'm going to protect that area when I do get her back in the field. Going to cut my pheasant season short as the wife and I plan to head to our winter home in AZ right after Thanksgiving. I think this is the 3rd or 4th time she's been cut like this and she's only 5 year old. Bad luck I guess.
I feel your(and your dog’s) pain. I went to Kansas for the first 5 days of the season and on the second walk of the second day, Hazel tore about a 3” gash in her armpit. We were in the middle of nowhere, but luckily found a vet not too far away that could sew her up. I had left my older dog home because it was supposed to get so warm. Ended up hunting the rest of the time with my friends and their dogs. What a game changer; don’t think i would hunt anymore if I couldn’t have dogs…

No blood. Just unzipped him a little. 15 minutes at the Vet to clean it and staple him up. Doc said no running for 2 weeks.

I can't catch a break. Figured Bree was healed up enough to take her hunting today. I chose an area that the cover wasn't real tough so I could keep any irritation to her wound area to a minimum as the hair is just growing back. She was so happy to get out and run again. We did find a couple roosters but both ran ahead and flushed out of range. This evening I was looking at her front leg and it was red an irritated but not bad. Then I happened to see some blood on her left rear thigh. Sure enough, she must of hit something and cut about a 1 inch gash in her inner thigh. Probably should of had some stitches but I just cleaned it up, put some Neosporin on it and hope it closes okay. I'm putting my guns and hunting stuff away. Going to get ready for a big Thanksgiving dinner with family and them the wife and I are heading to our winter home in Arizona. Hope next year is better.
Sorry to hear this. I had an injury to my dog one time that was very scary, so I know the feeling.

Sorry to hear about Bree, George. Sounds like her first cut was like my setters drom last year, but mine waant as deep. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving and safe trip to AZ.

Back